X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want cut my exhaust? Should u do it?

Hello,

This is my first post in GS.

I have an 87 gs 450L that I am turning into a bobber. I want my bike to be loud so I removed the baffles but it's still not loud enough... So I bought some exhaust tape and K&N air filters to open it up a little.now I currently have dual exhaust that I would like to cut so its straight headers then wrapped in tape. I heard I'm going to have issues with my carb. What will I need to do to ensure that my bike runs smooth?? Like I said I'm new do any help us appreciated.

OK some here will disapprove upon cutting stock exhaust. Anyways its your bike and do what you want. But sense now u are letting more air in and more out as well your carbs will need to compensate for the extra air. This is called rejetting. They make jet kits for this. Either go with dyna jet which is crazy expensive, 6 sigma racing ( on eBay) would be the easy way.

Comment

Cutting off the pipes? Sorry, can't help with that one.

Carbs won't be the only issues you have.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I cut my mufflers off and I have the K&N intake as well. Seem to run fine. I have a big bore kit and after market cam shafts in my bike too though..

Comment

So you actually want it louder? Why, can't you ride?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

im sorry but you really should attach some sort of muffler... you can still have loud - my shorty exhausts are loud as anything, but have a much NICER sound than the cut pipes. They can be really really piercing and not a very nice sound.

Get a nice open muffler that will give it a better tone

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              So you actually want it louder? Why, can't you ride?
              Maybe it wants to be a Harley when it grows up

Comment

Originally posted by nikosg View Post
                im sorry but you really should attach some sort of muffler... you can still have loud - my shorty exhausts are loud as anything, but have a much NICER sound than the cut pipes. They can be really really piercing and not a very nice sound.

Get a nice open muffler that will give it a better tone
                Have to agree with this.
                I happen to like loud engines as much as anyone else but there is better ways than hacking up the stock exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by NubzX View Post
                  Have to agree with this.
                  I happen to like loud engines as much as anyone else but there is better ways than hacking up the stock exhaust.
                  Yep, I agree.
                  Hard to find, those systems.

Comment

Its a 450 L for goodness sake. Cut way.

In order to make it run well, you will need to rejet if the pipes and intake are modified to flow more air.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                      Now that's funny!

Comment

Cutting the pipes is not something I would do, sounds cool but if you ride any distance after a while it's just downright annoying. When I stop I don't want to have to wait for the ringing in my ears to go away to have a conversation..

Just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          In retrospect, Combat makes a good point.

Comment

Whait I did...

I have a 77 gs750 and like yourself wanted to make it look and sound a bit "meaner"

I removed the stock exhaust and installed a crome MAC 4 into 1 exhaust...

It looked great but to be honest sound like a tin can when I drove it and was not near loud enough for me...

I initially chopped out the baffle making it sound like a jet fighter...

Looking at the bike I thought it needed to have a more stripped down look so I removed the baffle end of the pipe.

Ok, now it was far too loud but I then made my own baffle using some fence post I had laying around...

Here's a link to how it sounds and looks... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL0WW0awF-8

Dave

Comment

I have a glasspack on my 78-750.
                              It's got that raw deep tone, and I love it. It's just loud enough, but not annoying.

Comment

Working...
                              X