sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Me either. I had one on the hunting land back in MI though. Not my primary residence. Just something cheap to use for deer camp. Ive never had a trailer as a residence.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Me either. I had one on the hunting land back in MI though. Not my primary residence. Just something cheap to use for deer camp. Ive never had a trailer as a residence.
        I have! and it was in my best friends back yard. I lived in it for almost three years.

Ran electric to it, dug a trench so I could have running water. Even dragged 100lb propane tanks out to it so I could have heat in winter.

Where is Colin Green when you need him?
        Last edited by rustybronco; 08-06-2013, 03:55 PM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          V-rod's is cool looking. Don't know why any one would bash another on two or even three wheels. Scooters, c-rockets, heck even a engine dropped onto the front of a bicycle works... Z'all good if they are done correctly

Here is one that works for me... http://images.craigslist.org/01515_c...uX_600x450.jpg
          I am with you there. I don't care what it is if it has two wheels I'll give it a shot!

Comment

This oughta stir it up a bit. A pic of my '63 Harley, along with my '69 BSA Lightning. And a later pic, circa '86, of the same Harley, in front of my trailer. Both were bikes I built myself, from basket cases. But the trailer I just bought.

Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2013, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Not to get back to the topic or anything drastic like that... but there are some BIG differences between the earlier Victories and the recent models. They have raised their game big-time in quality and reliability.

I'd definitely do some detailed research before buying one more than a few years old.

Not my cup of tea, but if you like that sort of thing, they're the sort of thing you might like.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I owned this BSA 650 for about 20 years. Not a great bike. All I ever wanted to do was get off of it most of the time I was on it. Mine lost oil pressure from the timing bushing wear. Seized a wrist pin and broke a rod. Big lump on the crank case, and the piston hit a valve and actually knocked the rocker arm hard enough to crack one of the rocker arm mounts which are cast as part of the head. Except for the bean counters in the big end and lubrication system (Not the way Bert Hopwood the designer wanted to build it) the motor might have been the best of the British twins. As it was, Bert's older design, the Norton, is better. You can do a ball bearing conversion, but I couldn't find anyone at the time to do it. It blew up outside of Willow, AK, kind of nowhere.

Never an electrical problem, always started, and wasn't a leaker. I don't want another. Buzzy, slow, and uncomfortable.

I was the second owner, and bought it as a non runner.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

mmmmm 36 replies, a few (less than one hand's worth) of them with actual information on the original question, 8 or so with semi-information, and 25 with Harley (aka V-Twin) bashing or better yet - kindergarten name calling. Would have gotten better results over in OT

YEP - that's the GSR I know and love!

Comment

My eldest brother has a 2010 Vegas. He loves it. He recently rode 3000 miles on it in 8 days with me, and the bike was flawless. The fit and finish is very good, and it stands out from the other v twin cruisers. I suggest going to a dealer and asking for a test ride, they likely will give you one.

Comment

All I want to know is, when can I buy my Dodge Tomahawk?
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                        My eldest brother has a 2010 Vegas. He loves it. He recently rode 3000 miles on it in 8 days with me, and the bike was flawless. The fit and finish is very good, and it stands out from the other v twin cruisers. I suggest going to a dealer and asking for a test ride, they likely will give you one.
                        Yeah, plan on doing that, but was also looking for input like you just gave on your brother's experiences.

She-who-rides-pillion really likes the look of the Vision Tour model. Styling kinda grows on ya after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          All I want to know is, when can I buy my Dodge Tomahawk?
                          Meh. No bags or trunk or heated seats or any of that other stuff she wants. Maybe they'll come out with a touring version, although may have to drag along a tanker trailer full of gas....

Comment

The Vision is a great tour bike. Like you said the looks grow on you, and I like that they are uniquely styled. I met several guys doing some real long rides on a Vision, and everyone says good things about it. It is a very smooth and stable bike, with lots of good options and features. The Victory fit and finish is very very good, no monkey welds like on a GS!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                              The Vision is a great tour bike. Like you said the looks grow on you, and I like that they are uniquely styled. I met several guys doing some real long rides on a Vision, and everyone says good things about it. It is a very smooth and stable bike, with lots of good options and features. The Victory fit and finish is very very good, no monkey welds like on a GS!
                              And there isn't anything Harley about it.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

There is a Victory/CanAm/Kawi dealer close by that I get parts from on occasion.
                                I have been offered test rides on the Victory and CanAm "reverse trike" (I am their ideal target market) but so far I haven't taken them up on it.
                                They look better than they used to, and I do see a fair number around.

I actually enjoyed riding my friends V-RODS, but none of the "bros" waved at me.
                                It was probably because I was wearing an Arai (duh).
                                Last edited by gsgeezer; 08-12-2013, 06:52 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X