First time drag racing report: FUN!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time drag racing report: FUN!!!

Saturday night I rode my GS to watch two of my buddies finally face off. (C6 vs. E60 M5)
    I was hoping to take some passes, but I didn't know what the rules were, and the their website was severely lacking. I didn't have a chain guard, my helmet was too old, and if I broke 120mph I'd have to ride home and get my full leathers.

They let me go on the chain guard, but I had to borrow a buddy's helmet to get through the tech inspection. Borrowed it from the same guy who gave me a race take-off.

I had only read about how to drag race. Well, and watched videos on youtube. The strip faces the sunset at Portland International Raceway, and we started at about 6p looking right into the sun. The first couple runs I had no idea where the finish line was. Classic! There's a big checkered line about 3/8ths down the straight for road racing and I thought that was the end. I looked down after the first run and I was doing about 123 mph and thought my night was over. Funny eh?

So I got 10 runs in. Started at 12.1 and my best was 11.5 at 113.7mph. And during that best run I had my worst RT of .237 and my bike slipped out of 3rd half way down the track. I think with a decent RT and if I keep it in gear I could be closer to 11.2 or so.

Stock everything from the airbox to the exhaust ports, but a V&H 4-1 street pipe. '85 GS1150 front end, 90-92 GSXR1100 swingarm, wheels, brakes, SV650 front rotors? I built this bike in the winter of 2006 and it's pretty much been sitting around on the side of my garage getting a ride every 2-3 months or so. (total neglect).

I even wheelied several times on the launch. I didn't even think my bike could wheelie!

I had super fun, and I was told that I would be doing well if I could get below 13.0.

BTW, I smoked the C6 and M5. Best they did was 12.6 and 12.7 respectively.

-Kevin

I see numbers on the cycle. Did you run it? If so how did it go?
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hell of an adrenaline rush isn't it?
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Nice job sir!

Comment

When I built this bike, I always had visions of taking it to the night drags for some fun.
          But back then I was neck deep in road racing, supermoto, flat track, motocross, enduros... That all pretty much stopped when my daughter was born (and I went broke) in 2007.

Drag racing is fun and cheap (comparatively). I spent $29 and had a blast.

I also had visions of bumping the motor up some day... just a little... those days might be sooner than later.

-Kevin

Comment

It can be very addictive and a hundred times safer than tearing it up on the street..
            Decent times for first time out.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              I see numbers on the cycle. Did you run it? If so how did it go?
              Sorry, didnt see the bottom half of your post. Thats awesome. 10 runs! When I used to do time trials at our local track back in the 90s (Raceway Park Englishtown NJ), unless you were in the bracket racing group, you were lucky to get 2 passes in.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by CivilRock View Post

BTW, I smoked the C6 and M5. Best they did was 12.6 and 12.7 respectively.

-Kevin
                Excellent!!!!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

reaction times have nothing to do with ET's.
                  new racers commonly think this(and non racers).
                  nice job and good looking bike!

Comment

I think that PIR has run what you brung street drags every weekend. Those cars were pretty fast too. What is a C6?
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                      I think that PIR has run what you brung street drags every weekend. Those cars were pretty fast too. What is a C6?
                      corvette maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        corvette maybe?
                        Right. I like those. Lots of car for the used car dollar.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                          reaction times have nothing to do with ET's.
                          new racers commonly think this(and non racers).
                          nice job and good looking bike!
                          This was my first time. I've had tons of racing experience, but this was the first time drag racing with real staging, lights, etc.

RT = reaction time
                          ET = elapsed time

So does the ET start when I leave or on the green light? I assumed it started on the green light.

So I got an 11.5 ET with 0.300 RT. If I would have reacted perfectly with a .000 RT with that same run the ET would be 11.2 right?

-Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by CivilRock View Post
                            This was my first time. I've had tons of racing experience, but this was the first time drag racing with real staging, lights, etc.

RT = reaction time
                            ET = elapsed time

So does the ET start when I leave or on the green light? I assumed it started on the green light.

So I got an 11.5 ET with 0.300 RT. If I would have reacted perfectly with a .000 RT with that same run the ET would be 11.2 right?

-Kevin

clocks don't start till you break the beams.
                            sit there for 30 seconds then go and you'll still get the same ET as if you had a.500 light

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                              2012 Corvette grand sport coupe 430hp 6sp manual (3600 lbs?)
                              2006 BMW M5 V10 (no turbo or charger) 500hp 6sp? dual clutch flappy paddle 4,000 lbs?

It was a friendly battle and neither of them knew who would win. It was very close. I thought the M5 would win just because the corvette takes so much more skill to launch. It turns out the M5 was getting a whole bunch of lag time launching, and the Corvette was spinning the wheels too much. Buddy with the M5 only took 4 passes and never got it down. He had a family obligation.

It was really fun watching all the cars that went by. I was most interested in the cars that I wasn't expecting. I've seen a million muscle cars make a bunch of noise, smoke, and go fast. yay.

There was a diesel truck that was cool. A POS mini van with a twin turbo set up. A very stock looking civic with stock wheels in the 11s. A 4WD Audi in the 10s with fire shooting out the side. I guess I have a thing for sleepers. And just regular daily drivers going down the track. There's a lot of talk about the BRZ among my friends and one was there in the 14s. There was a guy on a stock 2004 R1 in the 9s who was qualifying for his racing license.

I had several of the bike guys come over and look at my old bike and tell me "That's what started it all. That bike right there." Everyone except the new guys on Ninjas knew what my bike was. It was cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X