I suspect I am running lean.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect I am running lean.

'83 650L, just threw on some K&N's, emgo shortys, and did the Dynojet stage 3 rejet. I also wrapped my exhaust with fiberglass wrap. The bike idles and runs great. There is no backfiring when downshifting, just a very slight crackle. I don't have a pic of my plugs nor did I actually cut them, but just at a glance I think they are just a hair too white. Also, it just feels like my bike is running hotter but I don't know if this is due to the fiberglass wrap. The hotter running temps make me think I am a bit lean. I installed the 160 jets that came with the kit but I am not sure if I should try some 165's. I am pretty new to carbs, is there a way I can richen things a bit by adjusting a screw or needle spacer or is the only way to go up in my main jet?

Thanks guys, you never fail me!

Do you have baffles?
    I''d try richening the needle one notch. (put the clip on one notch towards the emulsion tube end.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Since the needle controls the fuel flow between the 1/8 thru 3/4 range I think I will move my needle down 1 notch.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamroller View Post
        Since the needle controls the fuel flow between the 1/8 thru 3/4 range I think I will move my needle down 1 notch.
        Say what??? if running lean you want to raise the needle up per chef1366
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X