How much to pay for tire mounting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much to pay for tire mounting?

Ok, I'm about to order a set of Shinko's. Out of curiosity, I asked the local Suzuki dealer for mounting prices. They want $50 per tire, $30 per tire if I buy from them. This seems awfully high to me. What are you guys paying? Anyone have experience mounting their own? If so, tips please!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

When I had them mounted for me, they were mounted and balanced for $20 each, if I bought them there (I did) or $30 each if I bought them elsewhere.

Now that I mount my own, it's only another hour or so of my time, no extra money.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The tyre place I buy mine from fit and balance tyres for free if you buy the tyre from them. Their tyre price is cheaper than anywhere else so they aren't adding the cost of fitting and balancing into the buy price of the tyre.

Cheers.
      Shin-Ken 1074
      1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
      1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

$30 if you buy it there and take the wheels off yourself is about what I paying.

I apparently suck at mounting tires. I did it myself once and consider $30 money well spent. I had a terrible time getting the front up on the bead.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I think it was $20 a wheel at my local Cycle Gear. It was less if you bought the tires from them.

Yes, $ well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            I apparently suck at mounting tires. I did it myself once and consider $30 money well spent. I had a terrible time getting the front up on the bead.
            Next time, bring the bike on up, we can save you a few bucks.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I was paying $20 per tire (including tube install) at a local shop, but I did it myself last time and it was super easy.

Comment

30€ a set , 20€ if I bring the wheels in if tyres bought from shop and have just ordered up a set of Continental TKV11/12 for 200 €.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                  I was paying $20 per tire (including tube install) at a local shop, but I did it myself last time and it was super easy.
                  Instructions? Wondering if I should consider DYI my next set. Also wondering about balancing- how to DIY. (are motorcycle wheels spun balanced?)
                  1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
                  1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
                  1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

I used a wheel balancer from Harbor Freight, it takes 5-10 mins to balance at most and is pretty easy.

- Deflate tube, take out valve stem
                    - Break bead by propping rim on something, and stepping on the tire (or pushing)
                    - Spray with soapy water
                    - Push the opposite side of the tire in toward the center, use the irons to grab the lip of the tire and lever out of the rim
                    - Do this all the way around
                    - Use the irons to remove the other side
                    - Use old tire as a prop
                    - Use irons to get one side of new tire on rim
                    - Stuff tube inside new tire/rim, line up the valve stem
                    - Partially inflate tube (IMPORTANT)
                    - Spray with soapy water again
                    - Lever the other side of the tire on
                    - Inflate tube to operating pressure

Balancing is cake. Just check the tire for a mark (some have a paint dot where it's heaviest). If it has a mark then put that opposite the valve stem. Put the wheel/tire on the balancer and gently spin. Note where it stops (bottom is heaviest). Tape a weight to the top of the wheel (dont use the adhesive right away) and gently spin. Basically add more weights until it doesn't have a place it likes to stop at. Mark where they were, clean the rim and use the sticky adhesive on the weights.

I did this in about 30 mins while drinking beer.

Comment

Spend the $50 on a decent set of tire irons and DIY.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
                        Instructions? Wondering if I should consider DYI my next set. Also wondering about balancing- how to DIY. (are motorcycle wheels spun balanced?)
                        Andrew, you have been around for a few months now, you should KNOW the answer to that.

BassCliff's site. (<-- click the link)

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

...if they are not tubeless tires, it's as easy as a bicycle wheel.
                          Tubeless tires, innertube or not, seem way tighter and harder to get on and off without some practise and need a good blast of air to seat them properly too.

whichever,get some rim protectors with those tire-irons.

Comment

The Yammie shop in town mounted and balanced my rear tire for $25 if I brought them the tire and rim minus the bike. It was $50 if I wanted them to do all the work.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
                              Local private HD shop charges $20 to mount and balance in winter months when business is low, $30 in summer months.

His balance machine gets same results as my version of Brian's gravity balancing apparatus.

There have been many threads here on mounting and balancing, and dozens of YouTube videos are available.
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                              X