Brakes seized, clogged line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes seized, clogged line?

I just recently purchased a 650e for a good price, but knowing it had a few issues after bringing it home the front brake lever won't pull. And it is very difficult to roll it around my garage like the brakes are grabbing, do I pull the calipers off and clean/rebuild or is the a better chance the line is clogged? I have read a bunch of threads on rebuilding and cleaning the calipers but, I don't understand how it did it pretty much over night?!?!?! Help

Check for a clogged return port in the master cylinder.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That and seized piston from scuzz building up behind the piston seal in the caliper. In which case you tear down the caliper and clean around the seals recess till its spotless, install a new seal.

Rusty or dirty carrier pins causing the pads to bind. Clean the pins and relube them. While youre in there, service the piston seals too.
      In short, I am saying service the calipers and master cylinders fully to ensure your safety.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Toss me a phone number in a PM, I can stop by after work some time this week.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

take this offer. you know, it amazes me how many times offers like this one go out on this site. steve, you and rapid ray are both GREAT about offering help like this. what a great site.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Toss me a phone number in a PM, I can stop by after work some time this week.

1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

The brake lever on my parts bike wouldn't budge when I brought it home. I assumed it was the master cylinder but as soon as I took the brake line off at the splitter and pumped it once a big chunk of goo squirted out and the lever moved like new.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I can stop by after work some time this week.
              Stopped over there last evening. Nice bike he has. Not a stock paint job, but I like it. He is going to worry about the cosmetics over the winter. We went through a plan that will get a flurry of parts ordered and installed in the next few weeks, so he can enjoy a few miles before the snow flies.

The to-do list includes all the usual stuff: tires, brakes, valves, carbs, R/R.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X