No announcement yet.

My homemade cycle lift table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 years later and dozens of bike on and off and not one issue!!!!!
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

hah! Good for you! Did you make any tweaks that you didn't mention?

I got quite a spin from your thread -unfortunately, to escape velocity and ended up on a different planet...
      and , after all that, I never use it. I'll probably just cut my legs off at the knees when I can't (as was so aptly put by a forumguy here) "crawl like a lizard" anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        3 years later and dozens of bike on and off and not one issue!!!!!
        Just got through reading this whole thread. Geese and they say we're bad in the Vortex. Glad it works fine. I just brought home a "used to work" air powered lift, that the boss was going to scrap instead of having repaired. That's bad and good. Bad as now I'm down to only one lift at work, but good because I got it for free. I already have a lift, but if I can get a new ram or have this one serviced, it will be nice to have two when I open my own shop. I'm currently using the HF lift at work. It picks up almost every bike I put on it, but the clamps really suck on those. It only clamps at the bottom of the tire, so everything has to be strapped down, but over all, they're good for the price. You can usually find a used one on Clist for under $250. If it winds up costing too much to have repaired, I'll modify it to work with a hydraulic jack.
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Didnt mod anything since the original build and its been rock steady since. Im using it today to do some build work on my buddys 81 750L that i have the side covers wanted add for.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Didnt mod anything since the original build and its been rock steady since. Im using it today to do some build work on my buddys 81 750L that i have the side covers wanted add for.
            Interesting, I have the 750L back that I sold a few years ago. I'm trying to clean it up and sell it for him. It is truly nasty and running on 3 cyl. He called me wanting to sell it because, "it sounds like it has a rod knock". Put in a new plug in #1 and rode it 40 miles this morning. The guys been an idiot ever since I sold it to him. He called me a month or two ago wanting to sell it and said he would take $800, I said yeah give me two weeks. Two weeks later, I called him to say I'd be over asap with the $800. I get a, "nah, I put tires on it and now I want $1,200". "Not happening, you said $800 and I agreed". So now he will get his $700 and I'm hope for at least $700 for myself. I'd like to keep it and customize it. It has a big bore kit and is just plain fun to ride. My wife says I look to big on it, I'm ok with that. BTW, I need a right side cover for it, guess there is no need looking here.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Cool that the post is still going and stand is still working.

Sort of "Now it's up there I still can't get the tires off or change the shock" though.
              "Atleast no plumber's crack showing" (don't get lift???)

My current jack is a large scissor jack for trucks. (it's all I could fit under w/out making a ramp).
              I use a piece of electrical slotted bar (forgot what it's called now, used to be "kendorf").
              I slide it above the exhaust against bottom of frame , then carefully pull the bike level once it starts to lift.

For the front end work I used two short 4x4's against the frame (narrow scrap wood shim one side to clear exhaust) and a drywall screw and washer each side (just to hold the boards on until weight holds them. At one point I grabbed some masonry blocks and stacked them under each side, needed a tree cutting as shim and it looked completely rediculous, but so sturdy I left it for over 24 hr.s.

For the back end I braced it against where center-stand should be. This is working alone, in a backyard.
              So when I put a Suzuki RF 900 ("94-97") shock on my GSX1100G , I dropped the jack and the kick-stand was too short!
              DOH! For a moment I was like "Eff it, so happy it worked!" Then "No really what am I going to do?"
              "I'm so stupid I can roll bike and pick up something..."
              I could've just used a ramp and hydraulic jack, but didn't feel like the extra carpentry work.
              Cool lift.

Comment

chuck hahn

I'm going to copy your design. I built my table a few years ago and it dose not move up or down.
                I sometimes put off working on something because I don't want to push it up the ramp. I think mine is too narrow as well.
                Great job!

bench1.jpg

Comment

Use 3 or 4 inch long deck screws and Gorilla Glue at all joints.

Comment

Use 3 or 4 inch long deck screws and Gorilla Glue at all joints.
                    I can see how lift would come in handy for replacing a clutch, or removing a broke header bolt...
                    I just rent now, so before I brought my bike home, I stain-sealed and painted the deck. Owner was like ,"wow, thanks" ...Then I put plywood from a shipping crate (FREE) down and parked my "new" MC under the deck.
                    Think she must've been "Oh,now I get it"

Funny/ strange thing one review for my bike, reviewer stated something about "explaining it to landlord".
                    Just can't bear to move it to street still so I repaired the fence, got a mower to cut grass etc.
                    Think they might get ticked about a lift where it's at...considered paying 150/mo. for storage but can't justify it w/ my work schedule/time away from kids...Someday I might have space for one and I'll make one like yours!

Comment

Hey, guys. Haven't posted here in a while. Decided to log in and post a pic of the bike table I just built. Stumbled on this thread and thought I'd just put it here. It's not a lift, just a 2x2x8 table for long-term projects. I've got 2 old Hondas completely apart that I need to get back to. I notched the 4x4 legs for the 2x4s, and used 3" nails in my framing nailer. Used 1-1/2" staples on the 3/4" plywood top and shelf. I've got about $60 in it. Haven't decided if it will get painted or not. Don't need a ramp just yet, as I'll be putting the bikes on in pieces.

Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2016, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                        Don't need a ramp just yet, as I'll be putting the bikes on in pieces. [/URL]
                        You may want to build a ramp when you need to get it down. LOL

Looking good

Comment

Working...
                        X