X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550ESD Negative battery lead...ground wire half shorn

As stated in the title:

1983 GS550ES

Whilst replacing the R/R, I noticed the ground wire on the negative battery lead is half broken through. I know a new lead is around $20, but can this part be safely soldered with a normal soldering gun?

My apologies for the blurry photo. I'll upload another one when I get back to the camera.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Dip it in naval jelly to clean off the corrosion and straighten the wire going into the crimp.
    You would probably need a 100w soldering iron with a real clean tip to get it hot enough to melt solder. Might try z propane torch.

Comment

I don't know if I would solder it right to it. if you can uncrimp it, trim the bad wire off, then re-crimp it and re-solder it. I like to use crimps when possible just cause it provides a mechanical restraint, and soldering it in provides a good electrical connection.

Comment

Solder alone isn't going to fix it. Thankfully, the fix is easy enough... chop off the existing connector, strip back the wire a bit and crimp a new connector on, easy-peasy.

And maybe it's just me, maybe I'm not looking at that picture right... is that the only ground wire coming off the battery? Is it thinner than the one on the positive side? It just looks a little small to me...
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
          Solder alone isn't going to fix it. Thankfully, the fix is easy enough... chop off the existing connector, strip back the wire a bit and crimp a new connector on, easy-peasy.

And maybe it's just me, maybe I'm not looking at that picture right... is that the only ground wire coming off the battery? Is it thinner than the one on the positive side? It just looks a little small to me...
          Hi Eil,

you are looking at the ground wire (B/W) from that angle, and yes, I I believe the stock wiring is probably 16 ga. The main lead drops down and is semi-hidden behind the ground wire and blur.

There is not a whole lot of extra length in the lead to open the crimp up and re-crimp, but the point is taken. It'll give me something to try before dishing another $20 to Boulevard or whomever.

Speaking of crimps, what kind of crimping tool would be required to bend that back over?
          '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by markb View Post
            I don't know if I would solder it right to it. if you can uncrimp it, trim the bad wire off, then re-crimp it and re-solder it. I like to use crimps when possible just cause it provides a mechanical restraint, and soldering it in provides a good electrical connection.
            If I can source the connector, I suppose I can just build another lead/ground.
            '83 GS650G

Comment

Get a new cable -your existing is puny- probably get one at decent hardware or auto parts place- I stole mine off a broken jump starter.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hey Tom,

The main lead is fine, it's just the ground wire coming back from the harness that needs fixing. I can't imagine that was doing the R/R or the battery much good.
                '83 GS650G

Comment

What is the name of the type of terminal shown as Part #6? What kind of tool is required to crimp it?

'83 GS650G

Comment

vice grips.

Comment

LOL!

Thank you Mark, but that crimp looks a lot smoother than what vice grips can do, and given the amount of peak current that flows through it, I want to make sure there is solid electrical connectivity.

What kind of terminal is that referred to, so I know what I'm shopping for when looking through parts suppliers' catalogues?
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                        LOL!

Thank you Mark, but that crimp looks a lot smoother than what vice grips can do, and given the amount of peak current that flows through it, I want to make sure there is solid electrical connectivity.

What kind of terminal is that referred to, so I know what I'm shopping for when looking through parts suppliers' catalogues?

You are probably going to have difficulty locating those exact battery terminals. Just pop into you nearest electrical store and buy a crimp on ring terminal. They come in all sizes. You want the thicker ones used for mains wiring.

Comment

Working...
                        X