Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100ED is forked

Hello everyone,

First post to the board. I have an 83 GS1100E that I am restoring and have run into a problem with leaking forks. The neighborhood mechanic says the stanchion tubes are shot (pitting) and need to be replaced to prevent tears in the seals. I have scoured ebay without much luck and don't want to drop $300 on new tubes from Franks. What does everyone suggest? Just pay for new stanchions, try my luck with ebay forks, or try another model? Keep in mind the E has holes for the air pressure sync. If another model of forks what will fit? I may be interested in upgrading to a 90's gsxr front end if it is completely bolt-on but I'd prefer to stick with stock. Thanks in advance!

You posses one of my favorite GS models. Be sure to do a proper introduction and post pictures. Good luck, and enjoy.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

You can get your tubes rechromed (hard chrome). Pass on how much it costs over there but it's about £150 a pair here in the UK.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Ive got a couple that may be better than what you have. If interested, Ill take a couple photos.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The front end gsxr swap is a bolt on, however than you have to address the rear as well. The only thing that is a bolt up is the triple clamp, beyond that you are engaging in a major build up.

Comment

There have been several sets of those forks on ebay pretty cheap.

Comment

greetings & welcome to the site. I live just east of brooklyn in Manchester. Ha ha, Manchester MICHIGAN. Fill in your location. There are gs riders near you.

Comment

I would be OK with used forks. Get them from out West someplace, there will be no rust pitting. Ask for a close up of the tubes first just to make sure. Others have smoothed and filled these pitts with JB Weld and had no leaks. It probably depends on how bad your pitts are. Search for it on this forum, there are threads about it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                X