New Job Takes Me To The West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Job Takes Me To The West

I'm getting ready to go cross country from DE to NM; my new job is taking me out there for 6 months. Anyway, I decided to buy this trailer from Harbor Freight to transport my "T".

Here is my completed project; I still need to buy some bolts for the plywood and get a ramp set. I'm sure my wish-list will grow but I wanted to document this trip.

Ed
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-06-2020, 04:09 PM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Good luck on the trip and I'm curious how well that works out. I thought about that last year when I moved from Colorado to Ohio but rented a Uhaul instead.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks for the reply cowboy.

I'm impressed with how solid this trailer is...I made sure to get the 1150lb capacity with. the 12" wheels. The wiring wasn't too bad and all systems are go. A trip to the DMV on Monday and I'll be set for a NLT departure of this Wednesday.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

good luck Ed, hope everything works out well for you. take care on the road trip.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks Agemax. I'll do my best with keeping this as a journal. I'll be safe too!

Ed
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

You will enjoy the year round riding. What part of NM?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

New Mexico Location

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              You will enjoy the year round riding. What part of NM?
              I'll be in Alamogordo...tryna get some billeting on Holloman AFB before I get into a month to month cabin rental.

Ed
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                I'll be in Alamogordo...tryna get some billeting on Holloman AFB before I get into a month to month cabin rental.

Ed
                There's a former member there named Frijolis and Beans with an 850L. A real character. Loved to stir the pot in the OT. If I was going there, I'd look him up. I've passed through there as a kid on one of our many trips across country and distinctly remember one sunset heading west from El Paso that was beautiful. You going to miss winter! Have a good trip.

cg
                Last edited by Charlie G; 10-06-2013, 12:13 PM.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Ed
                  You should find a dirt bike before you leave, they cost a lot out here.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    You should find a dirt bike before you leave, they cost a lot out here.
                    Good advice.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

In fact, fill that trailer with them and make some money.

Comment

Hahaha!

I know it's a good suggestion with the dirt bikes but I'm taking my "T" only. My to do list seems to be growing instead of shrinking.

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I have one of those trailers, and I have hauled a GS1000G and a Seca 650 on it several hundred miles without problems. I put 3/4" plywood on it and a piece of steel channel down the center. I also put a number of SS Eye bolts through the plywood into the channel.

The only problems have been that the grounding for the lights is supposed to be through the frame, and mine needed a dedicated ground to make them work. If you want it to fold, the wiring needs a lot of slack. I've had it for about 8 years now. The paint has not stood up well to UV. It has also not stood up that well to the moisture in the air in Tillamook. Altogether, it was well worth the $200 on sale that I paid. The tires are rated for only 50 mph too. Eventually, I'll replace them. I have towed mostly at 60-65, but I always had that rating in the back of my mind.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Mt Trailer

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                            I have one of those trailers, and I have hauled a GS1000G and a Seca 650 on it several hundred miles without problems. I put 3/4" plywood on it and a piece of steel channel down the center. I also put a number of SS Eye bolts through the plywood into the channel.

The only problems have been that the grounding for the lights is supposed to be through the frame, and mine needed a dedicated ground to make them work. If you want it to fold, the wiring needs a lot of slack. I've had it for about 8 years now. The paint has not stood up well to UV. It has also not stood up that well to the moisture in the air in Tillamook. Altogether, it was well worth the $200 on sale that I paid. The tires are rated for only 50 mph too. Eventually, I'll replace them. I have towed mostly at 60-65, but I always had that rating in the back of my mind.
                            I've got a 3/4 inch 4X8 piece of plywood and I've installed a rack system--30 screws per side; 60 screws holding this one piece down. I've also weather treated the wood and it has good grip.

I grounded the white wire to the bottom side of the tongue and covered it with black tape. This trip will tell a true story about my efforts in this task.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I've got a 3/4 inch 4X8 piece of plywood and I've installed a rack system--30 screws per side; 60 screws holding this one piece down. I've also weather treated the wood and it has good grip.

I grounded the white wire to the bottom side of the tongue and covered it with black tape. This trip will tell a true story about my efforts in this task.

Ed
                              I found that the tongue was not connected electrically to the tail lights.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                              X