No announcement yet.

New Job Takes Me To The West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed, good luck with the travelling and job. I look forward to reading about it. Enjoy the winter riding!
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks DB. I'll do my best with documenting this trip.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Packing out the truck today...I plan on leaving at 0-dark-thirty tomorrow (0400) so got plenty to do. I've got some side covers to mail out to AX2007 and then it's back to prepping my SUV.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
          Packing out the truck today...I plan on leaving at 0-dark-thirty tomorrow (0400) so got plenty to do. I've got some side covers to mail out to AX2007 and then it's back to prepping my SUV.

Ed
          Good Luck on the trip Ed! I have "visited" ABQ many times, hope you like it. Drive safely!

Comment

The first thing that crossed my mind when reading this and seeing the trailer was the tires. Keep a good eye on them!
            Safe journey Ed.

Comment

Replies

Originally posted by Lila :) View Post
              Good Luck on the trip Ed! I have "visited" ABQ many times, hope you like it. Drive safely!
              Thanks Lila. I found a real nice apartment lease too. I'm looking forward to Alamogordo, New Mexico.

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
              The first thing that crossed my mind when reading this and seeing the trailer was the tires. Keep a good eye on them!
              Safe journey Ed.
              I bought the 12" wheel trailer that has a max 1175lbs. The tires are marked at MAX Speed 55. I'll keep it close to that speed.

Thanks again for the well-wishes.

Here's my loaded trailer...ready for tomorrow morning:

Ed
              Last edited by GSXR7ED; 10-08-2013, 06:30 PM.
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Ed, how is that Pilot for towing? We have a slightly newer one.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Towing

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  Ed, how is that Pilot for towing? We have a slightly newer one.
                  I'll let you know in 4.5 days.

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

What weight are the tires rated at? 13" trailer tires should be rated over 1000 lbs each I would think.
                    I wouldn't even consider doing 55, you will be no where near the tire's weight limit. No point in getting rear ended or causing accidents behind you. Just keep plenty of pressure in them and they won't even get warm. Trailer tires usually go to 80 psi or so?

Just checked, my 12" trailer tires are rated at 1050 lbs ea. at 80 psi, with no speed warning and they have been fine at 80mph with over 1000 lbs of bikes on the trailer.

Unless HF stuck some inferior cheap ass junk tires on there... In which case...

Good quality trailer tires are very inexpensive.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I always like to stop and feel my hubs on a trailer trip, just to make sure that they are not overheating. Along with the 55 mph tires, HF also said to clean all the grease out of the bearings, and re grease them. I never did. That is still a great trailer for the money. In 2011, I decided to put a new axle, springs, hubs and wheels on my sailboat trailer and tow it from Oregon to Maine. (bad maintenance, and too many dunks in the ocean) Found a place that sells components to trailer manufacturers, and got the stuff at a fraction of what I could find on line.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post

Ed

Thanks again!!! Good luck on the drive. I have a place to visit out in Scottsdale, if I ever get out there and have time to do a SW US trip I'll let you know.

Comment

Assist

Originally posted by AX2007 View Post
                          Thanks again!!! Good luck on the drive. I have a place to visit out in Scottsdale, if I ever get out there and have time to do a SW US trip I'll let you know.
                          Anytime my fellow "T" brother! I'm doing updates on my FB for some reason. Anyway, I went from Dover to Nashville and now on my way to OKC. The last leg of this trip is tomorrow. I've got another 4hrs yet...getting some lunch ATM.

Ed
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Leaving OKC but first, breakfast and plenty of coffee!

Trailer is holding up well. I've pushed it to 70+mph and it handles it like a champ!

First stop on this trip was Nashville, TN. That was a hectic drive getting out of the belt loop in D.C.

Yesterday was my drive from Nash to my current location. Shorter ride and alot more lorries (big rig trucks) on the road.

Today is a 600+ ride to Alamogordo, NM. Here I go!

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Leaving OKC but first, breakfast and plenty of coffee!

Trailer is holding up well. I've pushed it to 70+mph and it handles it like a champ!

First stop on this trip was Nashville, TN. That was a hectic drive getting out of the belt loop in D.C.

Yesterday was my drive from Nash to my current location. Shorter ride and alot more lorries (big rig trucks) on the road.

Today is a 600+ ride to Alamogordo, NM. Here I go!

Ed
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Nice of you to update your journey.

cg
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g
                                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                                X