No announcement yet.

New Job Takes Me To The West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Charlie. I'm sorta terrible with updating this trip but I just wanna get to my destination.

Got about 4 hrs left...eating lunch in Clovis, NM, tanking up one last time then arrive!

Ed
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 10-11-2013, 03:41 PM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I had one of those for many many years and it towed awesome, tracked perfectly nad you could hardly tell it was behind you.

I added eyebolts in the corners and used 3/4 marine plywood for the deck. swabbed the side that was to face the road with some roofing tar to sort of water seal the underside.

If it doesnt have bearing buddies..get some. Every 2,000 miles I would hit the bearings with 5 or 6 pumps from the grease gun and never spun a bearing
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 10-11-2013, 10:35 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Replies

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Ed, how is that Pilot for towing? We have a slightly newer one.
        DB,

My 2003 Pilot handled the towing with ease! Here's what I guess-timate on weights:

Trailer: 211 lbs
        4X8 3/4" Plywood: 40 lbs
        Front Wheel Bike Stand: 40 lbs
        2 Ramps: 30 lbs
        2 Rail System tie downs: 10 lbs
        And of course my "T": 500 lbs

So roughly about 831 lbs. This doesn't include my 2 toolboxes and other things I packed inside the cab. The Pilot has 240 HP and it had no problems on those steep uphill roads where acceleration is a must at 70+ mph.

Now when I got into NM, the mountainside curves (both uphill & downhill) I took it slowly. Other than that...I'm happy with the performance.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        What weight are the tires rated at? 13" trailer tires should be rated over 1000 lbs each I would think.
        I wouldn't even consider doing 55, you will be no where near the tire's weight limit. No point in getting rear ended or causing accidents behind you. Just keep plenty of pressure in them and they won't even get warm. Trailer tires usually go to 80 psi or so?

Just checked, my 12" trailer tires are rated at 1050 lbs ea. at 80 psi, with no speed warning and they have been fine at 80mph with over 1000 lbs of bikes on the trailer.

Unless HF stuck some inferior cheap ass junk tires on there... In which case...

Good quality trailer tires are very inexpensive.
        My tires were recommended to inflate at 60 PSI. The MAX weight for the trailer is 1175 according to the placard where the VIN is located.

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        I always like to stop and feel my hubs on a trailer trip, just to make sure that they are not overheating. Along with the 55 mph tires, HF also said to clean all the grease out of the bearings, and re grease them. I never did. That is still a great trailer for the money. In 2011, I decided to put a new axle, springs, hubs and wheels on my sailboat trailer and tow it from Oregon to Maine. (bad maintenance, and too many dunks in the ocean) Found a place that sells components to trailer manufacturers, and got the stuff at a fraction of what I could find on line.
        I checked em' every stop. They were warm but not alarmingly HOT. I have bearings and they were well greased...no probs.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        I had one of those for many many years and it towed awesome, tracked perfectly nad you could hardly tell it was behind you.

I added eyebolts in the corners and used 3/4 marine plywood for the deck. swabbed the side that was to face the road with some roofing tar to sort of water seal the underside.

If it doesnt have bearing buddies..get some. Every 2,000 miles I would hit the bearings with 5 or 6 pumps from the grease gun and never spun a bearing
        My front wheel stand has 2 eyelets and I used the rail system to hold the ramps down as well as brace the bike. The bearings installed were well-greased. I will pump them before my trip back to Delaware.

Thanks again for the comments fellas.

Ed
        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 10-12-2013, 09:19 AM.
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I assume that you've arrived, and ok. Glad to hear it..
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Great, now unload that T and take it for a ride!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

On the way back to Delaware, try to work it so your in OKC again on a Saturday AM or so. I am just 20 miles South literally right off I35. You can swing in, get fresh coffee and a stretch, some home cooked breakfast and some GSR fellowship with myself and Stahlgrau333 ( Matt ). Heck even got a pretty comfy couch if you wanna crash a night.
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Replies

I assume that you've arrived, and ok. Glad to hear it..
                Yes, I arrived yesterday around 7pm. Not a bad trip...just over 2000 miles in 3 days. I'm staying in TLF (Temp Lodging Facility) on Holloman AFB until I can get into an Apt Lease.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Great, now unload that T and take it for a ride!
                I'm gonna hold off for the moment. I saw a lot of riders yesterday and I'm excited.

On the way back to Delaware, try to work it so your in OKC again on a Saturday AM or so. I am just 20 miles South literally right off I35. You can swing in, get fresh coffee and a stretch, some home cooked breakfast and some GSR fellowship with myself and Stahlgrau333 ( Matt ). Heck even got a pretty comfy couch if you wanna crash a night.
                That would be cool Chuck. It won't be until Mar/Apr 2014 and trust me...I will consider it! Thanks!

Ed
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Ill think about you when its cold on the North East Coast...
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Winter Blues

Ill think about you when its cold on the North East Coast...
                    Hahaha!

It's in the upper 50s here...which I can bundle for so my riding can continue. Plus, I enjoy cold-weather riding.

Ed
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Fresh coffee. Eggs any way you want them. Sausage patties and hash browns. Toast with strawberry preserves. Ice cold OJ.

Crap!!! Now I gotta go make MY breakfast now!!!

Seriously though..pencil it in...tattoo a reminder on your forehead...whatever it takes bro.

Comment

Alright Chuck

Fresh coffee. Eggs any way you want them. Sausage patties and hash browns. Toast with strawberry preserves. Ice cold OJ.

Crap!!! Now I gotta go make MY breakfast now!!!

Seriously though..pencil it in...tattoo a reminder on your forehead...whatever it takes bro.
                        Sounds like you aren't giving me much of a choice Chuck. I will oblige with going to the tattoo shop.

Now, go get some breakfast!

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Is your trailer the heavy duty folding trailer? It looks like you didn't build it to fold.

Enjoy your warmer than us riding. We haven't had a killing frost yet in Toronto but the mornings are getting cold.

Jim
                          1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                          1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

Heavy Duty for Harbor Freight Standards

Originally posted by GSJim View Post
                            Is your trailer the heavy duty folding trailer? It looks like you didn't build it to fold.

Enjoy your warmer than us riding. We haven't had a killing frost yet in Toronto but the mornings are getting cold.

Jim
                            Yes, she is heavy duty...the largest one HF offers. Got it for $289 regular price $399.

I was pressed for time so I did not cut the plywood to fold my trailer. All I need to do is remove the 4X8 plywood and she will fold. I put 3 bolts in the front and 2 bolts in the rear and she held up very well on this trip.

Pics are coming up...

Ed
                            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 10-12-2013, 10:21 AM.
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Here's a couple of pics of my trailer. I had to remove an empty "Coors" can off my trailer. Seems there were folks drinking near my bike last night. I've got it locked up pretty good.

Ed
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                                Hahaha!

It's in the upper 50s here...which I can bundle for so my riding can continue. Plus, I enjoy cold-weather riding.

Ed
                                For the first time in years, I actually did some winter riding last year. Partially out of necessity (we only have one car), but it didn't take much persuasion. It was fun....
                                sigpic

Glen
                                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X