Really messed up oil pan situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really messed up oil pan situation

Yeah! Another new thread about stripped oil pan threads!
    I'll make it short and snappy, in 15 steps, for you

1) Changing my oil
    2) Placing the plug back in place carefully
    3) plug turning loose
    4) drips on the concrete
    5) crawling the GSresources
    6) buying oversized plug @ autozone:

7) putting the thing back in.
    8) Something's going wrong. Taking the plug back out
    9) discovering this:

broken helicoil from PO!
    10) big hole in the pan where nothing fits...
    11) Ordering new part with previewed delivery on Friday
    12) Starting job again on Monday
    13) Pan not there on Sunday
    12) Going to home depot to buy CAP SCREW M16 1.5 x 40mm
    and HEX NUT M16 1.5
    Screwing it in place in like a Mofo

13) Going to job very fine
    14) Receiving the new pan Monday evening
    15) Still alive. Will change oil pan and gasket along with oil, in 1500 miles.

Thank you guys and take care

something will fit....
    try a 1/2" pipe plug or replace the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      something will fit....
      try a 1/2" pipe plug or replace the pan.
      See step #14.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        See step #14.

a quick read on my part..
        went back after i posted and seen all his steps...hahahahaha
        i left my post "as is"
        a pan may not have been needed...dun't know

Comment

I had some engine work done on my first Gs back in the 80's at a suzuki dealership.

I picked the bike up and got on the hwy, ten miles down the road I take off ramp.
          At 50 MPH I go sideways and manage to not crash, I get stopped notice batch of oil. Oil plug came out, I got a new one at the dealer and complained about it coming out, at least they gave me the plug and oil.

Turns out the pan threads were stripped?? bought a new one.

After several GS's had to fix a couple pans,must be easy to strip threads or people over tighten them!

Comment

people over tighten them
            This.

It's amazing how many "people" (I refuse to call them mechanics) whose motto is "the tighter, the better" when it comes to bolts. And then when they strip the threads out of the hole or break the bolt, they instinctively blame on the problem on "cheap import crap" instead of their own redneck practices.

Once you get used to using a torque wrench for tightening things, you become aware of just how little force is actually needed to seat them properly. And how narrow the proper torque range often is... those without superhuman dexterity are unlikely to get it right without the help of a torque wrench.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Just did my oil and used the torque wrench to apply 7 lbs of torque. That's all it needs, not 17, 27, 37 or more.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Fixing the drain plug on your oil pan is pretty simple to do. Since you have to take off the oil pan, take it to a bike shop or machine shop you trust, or do it your self and install a steel insert. That is how I fixed mine and it is pretty much for ever. No more worries about stripping again. Just make sure the insert has two slots cut into it once it is install (inside the pan), that way the oil will drain completely out (the bottom of the insert is flush on the outside of the pan where it will seal right.. With the steel insert, you just have to locate the proper new screw in plug with a copper crush washer and you're done. No need for a new pan.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

You don't need superhuman powers, just to have screwed a few things up in your youth co as to understand the situation. That and to pay attention.

Comment

Just tighten till it's snug, then a tad more.
                    These bikes aren't harley's, the bolts won't rattle loose every 2,000 miles.

Comment

if you have to change the pan id advise a 2 ft length of 2x4 and a BFH. Some of those pans act like they are welded on and you really have to beat the snot out of each side until it breaks loose. Remove bolts & drop oil out first for best results. Several times Ive been afraid the block would break before the pan would come loose

Comment

My first car was a VW bug, in the VW's for dummy's book it said that when you tighten a bolt until the two ligiments in on the underside of your wrist start to poke out, that's about 6-12 Ft/lbs... which is plenty for an oil bolt (that and the fact I've been turning wrenches since I was 12). I've never stripped an oil bolt in anything I've ever done. Is this really a problem? I'm surprised by this.

Comment

Originally posted by lonerider00 View Post
                          My first car was a VW bug, in the VW's for dummy's book it said that when you tighten a bolt until the two ligiments in on the underside of your wrist start to poke out, that's about 6-12 Ft/lbs... which is plenty for an oil bolt (that and the fact I've been turning wrenches since I was 12). I've never stripped an oil bolt in anything I've ever done. Is this really a problem? I'm surprised by this.
                          the problem is the damage that was done by previous owners or on vehicles that has had a huge amount of oil changes...
                          bottom line is....shlt happen's sometimes which is out of a person's control.
                          soft threads is soft threads..

FYI
                          ever had a drain plug fall out?
                          bad deal from the stories i have been told.
                          better a little tight than a little loose.

Comment

Originally posted by bhm View Post
                            Yeah! Another new thread about stripped oil pan threads!
                            I'll make it short and snappy, in 15 steps, for you

1) Changing my oil
                            2) Placing the plug back in place carefully
                            3) plug turning loose
                            4) drips on the concrete
                            5) crawling the GSresources
                            6) buying oversized plug @ autozone:

7) putting the thing back in.
                            8) Something's going wrong. Taking the plug back out
                            9) discovering this:

broken helicoil from PO!
                            10) big hole in the pan where nothing fits...
                            11) Ordering new part with previewed delivery on Friday
                            12) Starting job again on Monday
                            13) Pan not there on Sunday
                            12) Going to home depot to buy CAP SCREW M16 1.5 x 40mm
                            and HEX NUT M16 1.5
                            Screwing it in place in like a Mofo

13) Going to job very fine
                            14) Receiving the new pan Monday evening
                            15) Still alive. Will change oil pan and gasket along with oil, in 1500 miles.

Thank you guys and take care
                            It looks to me like he was merely showing what was wrong and sharing how he handled it until he got the new pan. He hasn't posted since October of last year.

Comment

monkey see....monkey do
                              everybody just wants to tap on there keyboard including myself :0

Comment

Working...
                              X