Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850 G vs L forks

Hello everyone

I have a question and after searching through the forums and asking a fellow GSer I still have some doubts so here I am.

I'm looking for a replacement for the forks on my 1980 GS850G and I was offered the complete setup (steering stem, triple trees and forks) from a 1980 GS850L. I've read that changing JUST the forks is a big NO NO but I was wondering if there would be any differences in handling or otherwise if the whole setup was changed.

If anyone one has any good resource to direct me to or advice on this I'd highly appreciate it.

The brake caliper carriers and fender are different. I'm not completely sure you'd be able to mount G instruments on GL triples (I know the instrument clusters are different), but maybe someone else can answer that. I think the GL speedo cable is longer.

I'd also want to check the geometry and take a few measurements to make sure the GL forks wouldn't hit the larger and more forward G tank at full lock.

Not an exhaustive list, but basically your worries are fitting the other parts -- geometry-wise, you'll end up very similar as long as you use GL triples with GL forks.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I wonder if the flatter trees would hit the tank at full lock..
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thank you both for the input. My idea was to completely upgrade the front forks with more modern ones but I still can't find a good write up on here as how to do it or what specific models are compatible.

I installed Progressive springs and changed fork seals (including new clips) and they started leaking right away so all i want to do now is improve the whole setup, including more modern brakes.

Any more inputs?

Comment

For a temporary fix, I would install another set of new fork seals and do it properly this time. It is easy to mess them up, but it is also fairly easy to do it correctly with proper instructions.

Comment

How dare you question my impeccable mechanical skills...

I'm super familiar with BassCliff's website and indeed followed those instructions to replace them to the letter...

I'll order a new pair and try again but I fear the pitting on the tubes is responsible for my problems.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by jms View Post
              How dare you question my impeccable mechanical skills...

I'm super familiar with BassCliff's website and indeed followed those instructions to replace them to the letter...

I'll order a new pair and try again but I fear the pitting on the tubes is responsible for my problems.

Thoughts?
              LOL.
              Upon re-reading my post, it may come across harsher than intended.
              What I meant to say is that it is pretty easy to get wrong and I would give it another try.
              If they are pitted, you might try the suggestions in these threads:

You might want to post some pics of the pitted tubes so members can evaluate them...

Comment

No worries, I knew you meant well.

I'll try to post some pics this afternoon when I get home, see if I can get a clear one of how pitted they are.

I'll try redoing the fork seals and cross my fingers, I'm putting some feelers out for forks regardless.

Thanks for those links, I'll start reading through them ASAP

Comment

Working...
                X