Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new GS racer

Picked this up from a local road racer earlier this month, pretty excited:

Going to campaign her with the Oregon Motorcycle Road Racing Association next season, maybe an AHRMA event or two (currently not in the budget, but optimism never hurts).

I glassed in the taillight section of the seat last weekend, fit some new bars, etc. Just got a new seat from eBay, this is off a Kawasaki, doesn't look quite right.

Already has the works.
    Looks like a lot of fun......
    Very jealous.
    Have fun.

Comment

Looks very nice
      What size wheels/tires do you have?
      How long are the shocks from eye to eye?
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

We need some details!I am getting ready to do a sv650 front end swap.

Comment

The details I know:

1. GS1100 aluminum swingarm
          2. Works Performance piggyback shocks
          3. SV650 wheels (front and rear)
          4. EX500 front brakes
          5. Keihin CR smoothbores
          6. 1st-gen GSX-R600 front end
          7. Braced frame (some of the Yosh mods)
          8. LH crank-end cut off (otherwise motor is box-stock)

I didn't do this work, bought the bike this way. I've got a short list of changes to make, none of them that important. I won a free set of Gold Valves last year at the AHRMA Miller races (raffle) so figured I'd throw those in. I don't like the MAC pipe's look, so am working on replacing it. Plus maybe a paint job.

I'm a bit worried about ground clearance, yes, so if other folks have done 17" wheel conversions I'd like to know what dimensions they've got. On the bike (but without rider) the shocks have an eye-to-eye length of 14.25". Front forks (again, bike weight but without rider) measure 29" from top of fork tube to center of axle.

Comment

Ah!

Dyna ignition and 520 chain conversion, too.

Comment

John Kat, the front tire is a 120, the rear a 160. Don't know what the rim width is, if memory serves most 120s are on 3.5" rims, and 160s on 4.5" rims (somebody correct me here ...)

SV650 wheels, regardless, don't know what generation (or if they changed).

Comment

What kind of exhaust are you looking at? The gs bikes seem to limited on what will drag and what wont.

Comment

Very nice machine. Some closer photo's when you get a chance would be great. Something to droll over.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I'll grab some more photos this weekend.

Priority #1 with the pipe is ground clearance. Joe Signs reports that the MAC isn't bad when it comes to that.

My biggest beef with the MAC is the chrome, I'm not a big fan. Not a "real" problem, but hey ...

As far as performance goes, I tried to find dyno #s for different pipes but couldn't find any. Anyone got info on how any aftermarket pipes perform? I'm coming from the world of two-strokes, so all the exhaust options for the GS look the same to me. (:

Comment

Very nice. Quite similar to what we're running on our 1000 here in NZ.

Don't change the pipe until you've ridden it in anger...Yes, ground clearance is the main question but you need to ride it to find out if the power is where you want it for the tracks you race on. If it's too much up top not enough down low/middle or vice versa, then there are plenty here to advise on suitable changes.

Are your CR's 29's ? Most of the US race groups seem to have ruled that as max carb size. With a 4.5in rear you won't have probs...We don't have the carb size rule and our 1000 has now got more power than tyre...

Get it out and run it then tell us how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by patrino View Post

I'm a bit worried about ground clearance, yes, so if other folks have done 17" wheel conversions I'd like to know what dimensions they've got. On the bike (but without rider) the shocks have an eye-to-eye length of 14.25". Front forks (again, bike weight but without rider) measure 29" from top of fork tube to center of axle.
                        It depends on how hard you ride of course
                        On my 1100 Kat I have GSXR 1100 wheels with the same size tires you have ( 4.5" rear wheel) and I use Bandit 1200 fork legs that measure 775 mm fully extended ( 30.5").
                        In fact I don't use the full length as I have placed the clip-ons above the triple clamp.
                        I haven't grounded so far... but I don't race the bike
                        sigpicJohn Kat
                        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                        GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                          Very nice machine. Some closer photo's when you get a chance would be great. Something to droll over.
                          +1 ... (interesting rear swingarm brace (?) / or is that just exhaust bracket?)

Comment

GregT, what are you running for tires?

Comment

I can't remember the sizes offhand as the bike's not here at present but they're 3.5in front and 4.5in rear with Michelin Pilot 2CT's fitted.
                              These are apparently one step down from the full race Pilot power's but we don't use tyre warmers (yet) and these warm up very quickly.

The local tyre guy who also races in our Post Classic class is trying to get us to try the latest and greatest Dunlops...His nephew has just won the European Junior Cup so he's plugged in to what's hot at present.

We're allowed slicks and sooner or later we're going to have to go to them and tyre warmers too...But that will mean spare rims and wets too.

Comment

Working...
                              X