No announcement yet.

new GS racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be on the lookout for when Motogpwerks releases there next set of pipes on ebay. Link below is to standard version but they do a race pipe. You might try calling Chris directly.

I have one of his race pipes on my Kat. Very nice score BTW!

Comment

Motogpwerks pipes look awesome. But I am thinking that stainless exhaust systems aren't legall in some vintage racing classes.

Comment

I love it....cant wait to see more.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Looking great! I'm running 17's with a 120 on the front, and a 180 on the rear. Currently using Continental slicks but have also used Pirreli's. I do use tyre warmers (after a high side on the first lap of a race), and carry another set of wheels with wets on, which are currently a Continental front and Bridgestone rear. I haven't needed to use the wets yet, but have to say that I have had no problems with either the Pirelli's or Conti's - I would recommend either.

I used standard length GS1000 forks (with heavier springs and emulators) for many years and had very few problems with ground clearance. I did raise the rear by lengthening the shocks to sharpen the steering and for extra clearance. Just stay away from those ripple strips though.

If you print the picture below you should be able to determine the length of the shocks by scaling the wheels at 17 inches.

• Suzuki GS1100 for racing
          • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
          • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
          • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

This is a Tingate exhaust, Was one of two pipes EVERY Superbike used in the hey day in Australia, I could get some mesurements if u wanted to make something simular...

More pics in here..... http://s125.photobucket.com/user/sha...980%20Gs1000st

Comment

Love this one..

Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Looks like the forks aren't first-gen GSX-R600 after all. I'll post some detailed photos soon, would appreciate an ID if anyone recognizes them.

Comment

Sweet find!

Comment

GregT, I looked, yes the carbs are 29s.

Finally took the bike out for a spin around the block (hadn't started it yet), wow, it pulls like a freight train!

Looks like the forks are first-gen GSX-R750, with the anti-dive framas welded up.

Comment

Originally posted by patrino View Post
                      Looks like the forks are first-gen GSX-R750, with the anti-dive framas welded up.
                      They look very much like my first gen GSXR 1100 forks
                      sigpicJohn Kat
                      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Ordered some emulators and springs from RaceTech, hoping to put them in over the weekend. Started building a new seat last weekend.

My budget is what it is, and I'm longer on time than I am on $. To that end I just bought a set of old used cam sprockets, with the intent to degree the stock GS cams. I have a machinist friend who can slot the sprockets for me.

Is this a total waste of time? If not, does anyone know the "magic numbers" I'm looking for? Stock settings? Something else?

I've got the bits I need to do the work (degree wheel, dial indicator, piston stop, etc.), just curious if anyone has experience with this.

At this point buying a set of performance cams is not on the table.

Thanks, Patrick

Comment

IIRC, 104 intake/106 exhaust for torque

Some aftermarket cams will make in big difference
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Still waiting for more photos and to see progress of work done.
                            • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
                            • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
                            • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
                            • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Slow and steady.

RaceTech parts should be here today, hope to put them in Friday.

Steering damper showed up today, still waiting on the fork bracket for it.

Next big chunk of work is to work on the front brakes. The previous owner fabricated hanger plates for the EX500 calipers. They're spaced left-right correctly, but sit too far off the disc - see photos. I'd guess surface-area-wise, less than 60% of the pads were actually contacting the rotors.

I either need to make some new hangers or fit new discs. Again, given that I'm longer on time than $ this winter, I'll probably just buy some new brake pads and get some new hangers. I bought some thin sheet aluminum to make prototypes (bolt centers, spacing, etc.), and will probably ask a local shop to fabricate the real deals. Taking a look at them, then can be brought much closer in to the fork tube, that's probably not a bad idea too, as far as stiffness in the system goes.

I also want to do away with the washer stackup on the RH side. I'm not sure if the front calipers need to be removed to take off the front wheel, but given that I've got a set of rains, and that I live in the Pacific Northwest, I don't want to deal with losing a washer if I have to swap them out. So I'll either have one-piece hangers made, or else get a piece of stock to replace the washers.

Comment

Yes, they can and should be tidied up, including using more of the pad...

The piece of thick sheet used as a spacer should be duplicated for the other side. If I have it right, when swapping wheels you'll only pull the calipers off the mounting plates, not remove the plates and spacers.

With calipers off the plates, there should be room to remove the wheel.

Just to point out differing rules, we'd be using opposed piston twin pots - Lockheed or Brembo - and we're not allowed floating discs unless they were OE fitment...Pic attatched, a bit butch, but very effective...
                                Last edited by GregT; 11-28-2013, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X