Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 550 - Pre-winter gas leak

Hey all,
    I'm pretty sure my petcock was on the verge of failure this year as I'd have occasional minor gas leaks that would get fixed as long as I wiggled the valve around a bit to seat it closed. That worked well when it was warm, but once it finally got cold the valve was a beast to move onto prime. I'm pretty sure that during the course of getting it started one last time (ironically, in order to winterize it), I probably completely shredded the frozen/ancient rubber in there.

Now it's slowly dumping gas onto my garage floor. It's not a fast leak, but it hasn't dried out at all in a week and shows no signs of stopping. It's too late in the year to get a new petcock and install, and I'd like to avoid draining it if at all possible since I'm going the "gas + stabilizer" route this winter. (Obviously, if it has to happen, it has to happen!)

Any advice on how to plug that sucker up so it quits draining? I have not yet tried moving it to reserve to see if that setting is still intact. First item on my list for 2014: a new petcock!

I'd do the new petcock now. Force yourself. A large gasoline fire is no good no matter how cold it is outside.

Either that or drain the fuel into a safe can and hope the empty gas tank doesn't rust too much.

Either way, park it outside until you can do something.
    Last edited by tkent02; 12-01-2013, 07:42 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
    X