Hagon Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagon Shocks

Just got off the phone with Dave Quinn, seams like a good guy. I ordered the shocks with the 10-way adjustable damping. Dave stated this is the first request he has had for this on the clevis type shock. It would have to come from England, and take approx. 6 more weeks. I'll report here after some serious road testing

I'm getting some too, which spring rate did you specify?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I didn't. I told him my; weight, riding style, luggage weight/frequency. Concerns?

Comment

They sold me some with really hard springs. Way overdamped too, but that will be better with the adjustable damping.

Comment

Its so easy to end up with aftermarket springs that are too stiff. Let us know how you like them. Supposedly Progressive are based upon S&W, and Hagon were based upon Girling. I know that when the Girlings wore out on my Norton at about 20,000 miles, the S&Ws I put on it were a giant improvement over the Girlings, which were better than anything that came on a Japanese bike at the time. I like the Hagons on my RD400, and on my red GS1000G. I liked the Progressives that came on one of the 850 Gs I bought for my brother maybe better than the Hagons. The last two sets of Progressives I bought, I selected too stiff of springs. I never tried Icons, but I have had blown seal problems on Konis in my Cortina and on my Atlas, 2 wheels and 4, (the only vehicles I ever bought them for). I don't care to buy more.

I did get the Koni struts re-valved, rebuilt, and made externally adjustable, but I haven't reinstalled them yet. Waiting to do a coil-over kit install first.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Wow, I like the clear way that Z1 is selling them on the web site. I may try some over length ones for the sporty Skunk I'm planning for the bike I bought from Phaseman. I was happy with over length on the Commando to help keep from dragging parts, and quicken the steering.

Comment

No prob with the Y.S.S. it was delivered in a week and perfectly damped, I didn't even have to adjust them.

1979 GS1000

Comment

[QUOTE=jona;1969708]Just got off the phone with Dave Quinn, seams like a good guy. I ordered the shocks with the 10-way adjustable damping. Dave stated this is the first request he has had for this on the clevis type shock. It would have to come from England, and take approx. 6 more weeks. I'll report here after some serious road testing[/QUOTE

Maybe it will warm up some by the time you get them lol.

I took off a pair of old S&W shocks with the, at the time they called the heavy duty springs. When I got them off the bike I was a bit surprise how stiff the shocks still were after 30 years. I could probably use the shocks again if I were to replace the rubber bushings in the top mount. I put new Progressive on with their heavy duty springs lol. They feel fine.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I dealt with the distributor near me in San Marcos. Everything they asked was relevant as to my riding style and requirements. The shocks are set up very well for me.
                  NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                  Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

The thing about Quinn that didn't impress me, was before the sale they were all helpful, nice, super interested in getting me the right shocks. After I told them about the problem, not so much. They never even mentioned the fact that there were four different damping rates to choose from.
                    Seriously it rode hard as rocks.

Comment

After I bought the Y.S.S. shocks for the GS, they followed up with a phone call by the designer/builder to check that the spring rate specs, and the other pre-order information (weight of the machine, rider with gear, and riding style) that I provided was correct.

Then he told me to call anytime if I need anything.
                      (Even gave me a coupon for a decent discount on my next suspension purchase.)

There are a number of decent rear shocks available, but I do like the the product and service I've had so far.
                      Last edited by gsgeezer; 12-07-2013, 10:43 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
                        After I bought the Y.S.S. shocks for the GS, they followed up with a phone call by the designer/builder to check that the spring rate specs, and the other pre-order information (weight of the machine, rider with gear, and riding style) that I provided was correct.

Then he told me to call anytime if I need anything.
                        (Even gave me a coupon for a decent discount on my next suspension purchase.)

There are a number of decent rear shocks available, but I do like the the product and service I've had so far.
                        Which ones did you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          The thing about Quinn that didn't impress me, was before the sale they were all helpful, nice, super interested in getting me the right shocks. After I told them about the problem, not so much. They never even mentioned the fact that there were four different damping rates to choose from.
                          Seriously it rode hard as rocks.
                          When I get bad post sales service like that, I usually ask them how well their business reputation would survive the front page test.. In other words, if I tell everyone I could about how negative of customer service I received after the sale, how well would their sales do? This usually gets their attention. The motorcycle world is small and the grapevine news travels quickly..

Just reading your comment about your experience with them makes me want to go look elsewhere and give them a pass.. and I'll soon be in the market for shocks.. Looks like they failed the front page test.. One lost sale because they didn't follow up or follow through with a post sale issue.

People make mistakes, and so do sellers.. but it's how they deal with that mistake is what sets them apart from others.. In these tight economic times, customer service might be the only difference between sinking and floating..

Comment

I bought the ten-way adjustable damping 2810s I think they are called. Progressive heavy springs.
                            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                              Which ones did you buy?
                              I went with the e302 twin model:

Discover YSS Suspension, Thailand's leading motorcycle suspension brand. Elevate your ride with our innovative products like the PD Valve Fork Emulator and Fork Cartridge Kits. Trusted in over 30 countries, YSS promises unmatched comfort, control, and precision for every journey. Experience the difference today.

Price: $299.00 per Pair
                              Available Lengths: 280 mm, 300 mm, 310 mm, 320 mm, 330 mm, 340 mm, 350 mm, 360 mm
                              Type: Self Adjusting Gas Emulsion Shock
                              Features: Pre-Load Adjustment — Fork Fittings for Honda, Suzuki and all Scooters — Eyelets and Springrates Model specific or customised —
                              Application: ON and OFFROAD — for MOTORBIKES and SCOOTERS
                              Last edited by gsgeezer; 12-10-2013, 02:54 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                              X