Bmw k1300r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bmw k1300r

Bored and surfing for new bikess I came across this beauty (IMO). Anyone have one here or know much about them? Thoughts?
    I need an excuse to go for a ride so I'm off to my local BMW dealer to see if they have one on the floor.

No signature

Nobody?? Apperantly the "R" is not available in the States.
    I had a look and got some pricing. And my wife even showed up at the dealership and didn't kill me!
    No signature

Comment

Love the faired version. Very sharp looking bike. Insanely fast I'm sure, and expensive.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        and expensive.
        The bikes purchase price is just a down payment, any maintenance costs will be scary! Sure, new you get a warranty, but they are time limited.

IBA# 12860
        Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
        1984 KZ1100R
        2008 Kawasaki KLR650
        2011 Concours 1400

Comment

That engine would be a great choice on the Autobahn. Smooth, powerful, I'm sure it will last forever, even cruising at 150mph or so. Couldn't really get much out of it on normal roads. Overkill to the point of being ridiculous. It's not a super low torque monster, the torque builds as the RPM comes up, at at the higher revs it is really strong, but you need a straight road to get there. It's just not all that quick in the lower speeds. Gear ratios, again chosen for the Autobahn.

The one I rode was a K1300R, this one:

Maybe it was an RS, not sure.

I think the engine is the same, or close to it. Didn't care for it. If you did a lot of 150mph corners, it would be perfect. Very stable in the high speed sweepers. Unfortunately we don't have many of those. The mountain roads around here, 30 - 70 mph curves, couldn't get it working right. The bike is too long, too stable, it's just made for the higher speeds. Not quick and nimble, not really much fun on the twisty back roads. Actually hard work slamming it around the tight ones. Boring at anything less that double the posted speeds. Also don't care for the linked brakes. Put on the front brake a bit going into one curve, the rear tire stepped out a little. Bit of a surprise there. Other than that the brakes were phenomenal, as are all BMW brakes.

The seating position wasn't very comfortable, think of it as a cafe racer for a 6'6" rider.

Certainly take it for a test ride, just don't get talked into buying it first.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I like fast standard unfaired bikes so the K1200r has been a serious alternative for me. They go back to around 2005 so they getting pretty reasonable too.

They are kind of strange looking and have a bit too much lean over and knee up riding position; but the latter can mitigated to some extent. I put this bike in the class with the B-king. The B-king is even worse looking but I've seen some mods that can help that too.

The naked K is a very sophisticated, powerful and expensive bike. I couldn't see buying a new 1300, even if they were available in the US, but an early used one at the right price...? But then I like FI and ABS.

Liked the post - thanks.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Consumer reports show that 1 in 3 BMW owners had a major problem with their bikes. ****, even Harley owners were better off than that at 1 out of every 4 owners had a major problem with their bikes....oh, that's bad But, on the up side, even with that horrible dependability 74% of BMW owners would buy another one.....hmmmm, maybe they don't know any better?? I tell you, 3 yr warranty or not. If I spent that kind of money and had a 1 in 3 chance of a 'major problem'....But that's me and I'm cheap
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Have you thought about this one???

Rob
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                  Have you thought about this one???

Hehe...if it only came in black!
                  No signature

Comment

Rob

Comment

Although this one's pretty nice.

Rob

Comment

..But that's me and I'm cheap [/QUOTE]

Huh, a cheap GSR member...

Comment

I've owned a K 1200 S ( full fairing ) and then a K 1200 RS ( half fairing)
                          I was disappointed with the first bike as the roadholding degraded a lot around 20000 km.
                          Later on I learned that there was some kind of default in the front suspension linkage
                          The second bike handled very well specially in the very fast bends ( above 160 km/h).
                          I got tired of the bike because:
                          a) it wears the front tires very quickly due to the enormous amount of trail
                          b) it's not very agile in the twisties ( trail again)
                          c) the engine was disappointing but this could be due to the fact that here in France the engine is limited to 100 rwhp by law.
                          I did like the ESA suspension that allows you to select the suspension setting by turning a knob
                          My latest modern bike is a Kawasaki Z 1000 SX.
                          Way more fun to ride and much cheaper
                          sigpicJohn Kat
                          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

All that technology in a BMW can really lead to some reliability horror stories. A co-worker of mine left for home and only made it 5 feet on his BMW GS before the immobilizer kicked in. Took near to 2 months at the dealership to get it sorted out.

I would love to buy a new motorcycle but the depreciation is astronomical. You could buy one a few years old and save loads of cash.

Speaking of used M/Cs my local BMW dealership was happy to let me ride the bikes in their used stock. Maybe find used one and take it for a spin.

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
                              All that technology in a BMW can really lead to some reliability horror stories. A co-worker of mine left for home and only made it 5 feet on his BMW GS before the immobilizer kicked in. Took near to 2 months at the dealership to get it sorted out.

I would love to buy a new motorcycle but the depreciation is astronomical. You could buy one a few years old and save loads of cash.

Speaking of used M/Cs my local BMW dealership was happy to let me ride the bikes in their used stock. Maybe find used one and take it for a spin.
                              Yeah I hear you about depreciation. I do like a three year unlimited milage warrenty though. The financing option on a new bike here is .095% making it a very managiable monthly payment.
                              The thing is is that I'm not as mechanically inclined as most of the guys on here so reliabilty on the road with my wife is very important.
                              I know some guys on here are TOTALLY against the idea of a BMW but I gotta say it's the first NEW bike that really appeals to me. I have been doing lots of research on the bikes and the next step of course would be to ride a couple of them.
                              One thing I will say is that I have been treated better at the BMW dealership than any other dealership. Period!
                              Last edited by trevor; 12-18-2013, 04:36 PM.
                              No signature

Comment

Working...
                              X