No announcement yet.

Fixable airbox? '79 GS750L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have the part number for the gaskets that go in the airbox's side covers? or point me in the right direction? I'd rather go OEM instead of trying to make some from weather stripping.

Thanks again!

Wilson

Comment

They have not been available for decades.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ah, damn. So is weather stripping my only option?

Comment

Weather strippingb is the normal go to these days unless you can find a box and salvage them from that. Maybe place a add in PARTS WANTED and see if anyone come thru.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I used to use red RTV and glue it shut, but I'd put waxed paper over the box before putting the lid on. Once it's dry, remove the waxed paper and you have a nice gasket glued to the lid, but not to the box.

Comment

I grabbed some RTV, but I'm concerned about using wax paper on the airbox. Its not at all flush or flat surface that I'm forming the RTV to. When I try to put the wax paper over the airbox opening it folds and wrinkles way too much. I just don't think it would make a funtioning gasket with all of these wax paper bumps and lumps in the way. I bought Permatex Ultra Blue, can I just form the gasket without wax paper? Or will that permanently glue my side covers to my airbox?

Thanks I hope this makes sense, the side covers are just such an awkward shape I don't think wax paper is a good idea.

Comment

That's what I did. It worked fine. You can do what you want. It's not too critical as long as it seals.

Comment

Working...
                X