Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My GS850G tipped over in the mud, now runs bad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS850G tipped over in the mud, now runs bad.

Hey everyone,

I parked my 1980 GS850G on what i thought was solid dirt on its side stand and sure enough it tipped over when the mud below gave way. It could have been on its side for 15 minutes or so behind I found it. It ran great before this happened.

I opened one side of the airbox to let things air out. Gas was leaking quite a bit. I let it sit for about 45 minutes before trying to start it. It gave me trouble starting. Once started, i have to crack the throttle or it will die and won't idle at all. I went for a little ride down the street and the bike had no power at all and it would backfire every once in a while.

Any thoughts on what is going on and what I should do?

Thank you

You're probably not firing on all four cylinders. Probably just a couple of float needles stuck? what ever it is it can't be too much I wouldn't think. Maybe pull your spark plugs and see if any are soaking wet, may need to let them dry out. I'd pull your oil filler cap and make sure no fuel went all the way through to the oil. I'm sure lots of others will chime in on what the problem could possibly be as well.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

It smells very rich when running, like fuel is not being burned off.

I pulled one of the plugs from the cylinder closest to the ground when it was down, and it seemed to be dry.

also, Merry Christmas to everyone!

Comment

Most likely, your air filter is saturated with fuel and is causing the bike to run rich. Also, check the oil for hints of fuel smell. If it has any smell of fuel, change out the oil and filter.

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Dave beat me to it....remove the filter and see if its soaked. let it dry out if it is and it will be fine.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I just tried starting it after a day of having it sit. Unfortunately it did not go well.

The air filter is dry of gasoline and oiled appropriately.

All the same problems seem to persist as before

I pulled one of the spark plugs and it seemed wet with gas.

Any more ideas or suggestions?

I might have to take it into someone...I am in the middle of moving and don't have the time or place to start taking things apart right now.

Comment

Do all four spark plugs have spark?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I believe so, the engine is smooth when it is running except for the intermittent back fire.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamC View Post
                  I opened one side of the airbox to let things air out. Gas was leaking quite a bit. I let it sit for about 45 minutes before trying to start it.
                  You did close the airbox back up, didn't you?
                  It won't run for **** with it opened.

Comment

Yes, the airbox is all closed up and tight. I am lost.

Comment

Could be one or more of the carburetor floats got out of alignment or stuck or something. The carbs are super easy to pull on that model, take a look inside. Easier yet, check the fuel level while it's running. Even easier, give each float bowl a good whack as it's idling, see if something changes.

Coud also be some sludge from the bottom of the float bowl got dislodged and found it's way into some pilot jet or some other tiny orifice.

Comment

Working...
                      X