Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Superbike" racing at Philip Island in Australia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some beautiful bikes.

This weekend is definitely on the bucket list.
    There are some results posted from the first 2 days
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

A lap from this year on a XR69.
      Like the video? Please subscribe and share.An onboard lap from Mike Edwards first qualifying session for the 2014 Island Classic races at Phillip Island, Aus...
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Pi

Just back from beautiful Phillip Island. I wound up taking 'one on the chin' and giving my super fast 1260cc Katana to fast racer James McKay (Jimi Mac) and I rode my 'B' bike, the 998cc kat. I though it best he should ride it as he was laying down fast lap times and might put us in the running with a proper HP bike. (154 hp) He wound up getting the USA team a 13th place finish and was running in 10th place for 3 laps on my Kat!! In this race that it is huge. He was beating $75k XR69's. The Aussies and UK guys are outrageously fast with machinery that's top notch. The track is incredibly smooth and fast, and the people are amazingly friendly and accommodating to us Yanks. I was honored to be a participant even though I got my arse handed to me! Here's an onboard of one of the races on Saturday.

sigpic

Comment

Sweet stuff joe. Thanks for posting that track looks nice. The .ighty Kat held her own!

Comment

That is joe weirs first superbike correct? What class was joe running ant find him in the results

Comment

Awesome Joe, thanks for posting the video!

I like XR69's but I'm so glad the Kats came out on top
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

So that little tosser Stator didn't turn up at the Island .
                I wonder where he be ?

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

that's because its an xj Yamaha motor.

Comment

John McGuinness is riding a Harris Honda but cant recall those tappet covers the engine is wearing. The retangle area is huge.[/QUOTE]

I believe that there were some protests about the FJ1200 in the Harris frame, but somehow it was allowed to race. Anyone got any more information about this?
                    • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
                    • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
                    • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
                    • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

The engine was from '84, when the latest date was supposed to be '82?
                      Not much info on why in this article but a good read regardless.
                      Some nice pics in the Galleries at the end.
                      Yes, I know I have used the title before but it was apropriate then and it still is. Firstly, my apologies for not updating during the weekend but internet speed on Phillip Island is appalling and the only way I was able to upload my interviews to the MotoPod FTP server was to get up […]
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Well, if the organisers were keen to see the poms do well so let an FJ1200 run....wonder if they'd let us Kiwis run GSXR's ?

Nah, never happen....more likely to beat them at cricket....

Comment

Working...
                        X