Longer speedometer cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longer speedometer cable

I have a 1981 GS 650 that i put drag bars with risers on. Ive been having a bit of a hard time finding a longer speedometer cable that will be able to reach my new mini speedometer. The factory cable comes up about 6 inches short. What am i missing? This can't be that difficult.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2014, 07:44 PM. Reason: tags

Motion pro shows the same part # for the E and G models But a different # for the GL. So there is a difference between models. Might could call them and see which is longer. Compared to how long yours is and what exact model you have. http://www.motionpro.com/ They also make specialty longer cables if needed.
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I'll check them out. I sent an email to jp cycles and they literally told me I have a "severely outdated motorcycle" thanks jerks

Comment

Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
        Motion pro shows the same part # for the E and G models But a different # for the GL. So there is a difference between models. Might could call them and see which is longer.
        The L will be longer.

How much, I can't say.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I doubt the L is much longer. The gauges are still off the triple tree no?

What about looking for something from another japanese bike? Are the speedo cables pretty much the same across the manufacturers?

You may have to move that speedo to the triple clamp and off the bars if that's where you put it.
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

If I can't get a longer cable without paying an arm and a leg there is some room to place it close to the factory location if I make a bracket for it. I like the location of it as of now though :/

Comment

what is the length of the cable you have got? and how long do you need it? then we could measure cables we have, and see if any comes close
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Here she is

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                  I doubt the L is much longer. The gauges are still off the triple tree no?
                  Yes, the speedo is in the same place. In fact, the stright-line distance between the axle and the speedo is probably almost identical, but the L speedo drive exits at a downward angle, which requires a bit of cable to curve back up along the fork. I would guess that it might be about 4 inches or so extra.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good guess Steve ! I compared a spare "G" cable to what's on my "L" - the "L" cable is about 5 inches (maybe 6) longer than "G"
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I checked the Suzuki Speedo cables we stock, and the longest is the one for the GS650GL.... 44.75" end-to-end on the inner cable.

Follow this link to our web site and then click the 'Long' radio button at the top of the list to view the lengths.

Suzuki Speedo Cables

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
                        I checked the Suzuki Speedo cables we stock, and the longest is the one for the GS650GL.... 44.75" end-to-end on the inner cable.

Follow this link to our web site and then click the 'Long' radio button at the top of the list to view the lengths.

Suzuki Speedo Cables
                        Just measured on my bike and that is pretty much exactly the size I need. Z1 rules

Comment

Working...
                        X