Those that have swapped GSXR1000 front ends please respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those that have swapped GSXR1000 front ends please respond

I haven't been on here in a while (10 plus years, different user name. I forgot it's been so long!)

I have a 79' GS750E. I am doing a frame up redo/restomod.

I have a bead on a 06' GSXR1000 entire front end.

What am I in for to swap? I have been driving modern bikes for a while and appreciate the handling and style of a modern USD setup.

I've been searching here and don't see too many thread about using a new front end like that.

It's $200 complete.

Should I?

I guess going that new doesn't seem to be all that worth it here? I'll monitor this is case anyone has some input. I passed on the front end for now until I get a better idea of what I would have in store.

Comment

Plenty of threads on GSXR fork conversion.
      Some may have the same year.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'm in the same exact boat.^^^
        I recently RE-subscribed after forgetting my info from my initial membership. Anywaysni want to swap my front end but don't know exactly what's the ideal setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenza V View Post
          I haven't been on here in a while (10 plus years, different user name. I forgot it's been so long!)

I have a 79' GS750E. I am doing a frame up redo/restomod.

I have a bead on a 06' GSXR1000 entire front end.

What am I in for to swap? I have been driving modern bikes for a while and appreciate the handling and style of a modern USD setup.

I've been searching here and don't see too many thread about using a new front end like that.

It's $200 complete.

Should I?
          I've converted three of my GS 1000/ 1100's to a GSXR 1100 front end but never with a 2006 model.
          Here's some good advice I believe: http://www.suzuki-katana.com/
          It's about the 1100 Katana but the advice is also valid for the GS 1000.
          Here's one of mine:
          sigpicJohn Kat
          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

An o6 will have the inverted forks,so the triple tree will have to be changed ,I would think

Comment

Yeah, it seems that there aren't too many with 06' and newer forks. I would like to do something where I have the newest forks/brakes I can run, within reasonable cost. I love the inverted forks, they seem to turn easier.

The forks I had a bead on disappeared. So I will have to see if anyone else has done it first. I don't want to be a pioneer on that type of mod. It could get very costly.

Comment

John Kat-great link! I love those old Katana's.

Comment

John I really like your GS1000 ,well done, thanks for link , gives me more ideas for my 2 kats ,and spend more money thanx a lot , lol, Brian

Comment

John Kat-that bike looks so insane!

Comment

Late Model Swap LS Bike

May or may not help youI've swapped a 2012 Hayabusa complete front fork assy on a 83 GS 1100 for a miler race bike.Although I made a new steering neck and grafted it on,(altered rake for straight line stability and trail considerations).I think the busa and gsxr 1000 share some similarity.(triple trees,bearings,stem length ,steering dampner.etc.) From my trials,the late model forks will probably be a little short,inch and a half or so.So ground clearance may be an issue for a street bike.I built a new offset upper tree to allow for the shorter fork tubes,and so I could use my own clip ons.Rather then be limited by the stock Busa's.Plus im just going in a straight line,and running 2" ground clearance with limited front and rear suspension travel.
                      My rear swingarm is also late Busa along with monoshock coversion.My frame is fully braced.SA is not a drop in,but with the extra 10% wheelbase I'm allowed,the rigidness of the busa arm along with its stock bracing,and frame mods I have added hopefully will inspire straight line stability for the 170-190 mph speeds I will be seeing

Comment

170-190 on a GS, WOW!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X