No announcement yet.

My first GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After rebuilding the carbs and cleaning the tank, I figured out the Uni pod filters that came with the bike were going to require a jet kit. It was bogging after 5k rpms. I covered about 80% of the filter surface area to restrict the flow and bike now pulls hard all the way through. I ordered a used air box on ebay which should solve that problem. So now that I got it running the way it should, I began the tear down. This bike was neglected for years and has a lot of crusty bits. I ordered rebuild kits for all brake components. I will refurbish all the controls (some switches are frozen). Today, I started dismantling. I am going to get it down to the frame and paint frame and then the motor.

Comment

Be very careful when you dismantle the switches and controls.

There is a few tiny little springs and plates that will be forever gone if they fall onto the driveway or shop floor, ask my how I know!

Comment

Made some progress on my GS. Painted the motor today. Prepping a motor this size is a lot of work. Tomorrow I will powder coat the lower end covers (stator, clutch, ignition, etc.) black. Then I'll paint the frame with a single stage 2K black. Progress is slow because I am working on a few projects simultaneously.

Comment

Powder coated the covers (stator, clutch, ignition, etc.) and waiting on new gaskets.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Also hacked the tail end of the frame and welded on a hoop. Guess I am now committed to finishing this cafe style. I will be painting the frame next.

Comment

I painted the frame a couple days ago and today I got the motor back into the frame. I layed the motor on its side and lowered the frame onto the motor. It was much easier than pulling it out (which I did while upright). And the best part is I did not scrape the motor or the frame.

Comment

Freshly painted frame and motor with power coated engine covers.

Comment

Doing nice work there Scratcher!

Comment

She is going to be a beautiful bike indeed.
                    Get a friend to help you bolting up the drive line out the back of the engine. You need more than two hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Scratcher09 View Post
                      I was told by PO this is an '83 GS1100E. I've discovered on the title it is an '82 and it is shaft driven so it is not an E. Can anyone tell me what model this is?
                      G

GS1100G

an 83 you say

GS1100GD

Last edited by Redman; 04-08-2014, 01:33 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

This is coming along nicely Scratcher. It really does not matter how fast you are since you are doing nice work. Have you got an idea on color yet, or considering the Midnight Special look? I love those; who can get tired of black and gold?

You know, if you host your pictures on a site like Photobucket they show up better and let us use them as wallpaper, or in some cases something to laugh at. But the dame goes for what I said about the cafe build, it's your posts and you can do what you want with them.

Comment

I haven't worked out the paint job yet. I do like the Midnight Specials but I would have blacked out the engine if I was going that route. I'll tackle that issue after I make the fiberglass tail piece. Today my goal is to rebuild the brakes--master cylinders and calipers.

Comment

nice build so far...

follow this link -

it will show you how to post pictures here on the site

and best of all you can post multiple pictures in one post ( actually 8 if I am not mistaken) and if you keep them at say 800x600 almost everyone will be able to see them properly on their screens

Comment

(Just a test to see if I'm posting image properly)
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2014, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Beautiful..........

could have been a better picture, maybe a bikini clad girl, but the GS will do for now....LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X