1983 GS650GL project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS650GL project

This bike looks great as-is (and only 22k miles) and runs well, but I want to clean it up and take off weight. I.e., "make it mine." I've already replaced the stock bars for lower/lighter euro style & replaced the giant plastic stock speedo/tach assembly with smaller chrome dials.

Future projects include: possibly replacing the exhaust with a 4-2 side upsweep and putting on a solo seat and a shorter rear fender. Also replacing the plastic side panels with simpler painted aluminum panels.

Right now a mechanical issue is the choke -- the cable is stretched and I'd rather replace it with a plunger at carb-level rather than hook up another cable. I'd like to get the bars as clean as possible, with as few controls as possible.

Also need to take a look at the clutch, as it's getting difficult to pull and wants to slip sometimes.

Not trying to make this a cafe. More minimalist with a cleaner line and a monochrome color scheme.

Aesthetic and mechanical suggestions/input welcome!
    Last edited by Guest; 01-21-2014, 08:56 PM. Reason: typo - wrong year

"This bike looks great as-is (and only 22k miles) ........"

You're right! and since it "runs well" enjoy as is.I know,I know.... different strokes for different folks.

Anyways it would be easy to rig up a gizmo to operate "choke" mechanism at carbs- only need "choke" for maybe two minutes. Drawback is that it would be difficult/dangerous to feather "choke" to keep revs from bouncing up.
    A decent (i.e. not stretched,frayed ) clutch cable needs proper orientation to actuate easily and not slip-cable passes along frame tube next to left coil and then makes turn down between carb 2 and 3 on airbox side. clutch lever arm shoul be tilted inwards about 15 degrees in release spot for easy pull. How does yours look? sometimes PO's get creative at cable routing.
    The 650 shaft setup does not appeal to everyone- have you ridden this thing much?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
    X