Big bore kit for 82 450L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big bore kit for 82 450L?

Hey everyone I'm new are here, its great to see a community of GS owners!
    I was curious if there was a big bore kit for a 1982 450L. I want to beef it up to get it as fast as i can. I really wanted to buy a gs750 having owned my 450 for several years now but i can't afford the insurance.

I've already put pod filters, larger jets and bored out the exhaust a bit. also put Dyna coils on it. i was thinking about putting larger sprockets to give me more high end but my low end will suffer from that so I'm not sure. Any ideas? please send links to sites that have boring kits if there are any.

Thanks so much!

Also is there maybe a larger engine that would fit on my frame? thanks

Comment

Do you have this engine?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The GS450 engine is a 2 valve head I believe. There are some threads on here that talk about using GS 500 and GR650 cylinders and pistons. If you do a search I think you can find them. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Thanks for your replies, yea that is the same engine as mine. You can kind of see it in this picture.
          Ill have to make sure to look for those threads on the 650 piston mod.
          any other ideas?

Comment

So what you have in there is a gsx400 engine.
            Custom is the way to go it you want to keep the 4 valve per cylinder head.
            I used the gr650 sleeves and gs 1100 pistons @78mm vs 67mm stock. Then opened up the combustion chamber.

Usually with a 450 two valve head you could use gs500 cylinders, cams and pistons with a gs450 head.

Easiest thing to do with a 400 is to use a 500 block and have pistons made for it. Like the stock ones you need the valve recesses in the right place. But the piston is the same as a gs 750 16v head so there may already be a template for a gs 750 big bore kit that would work.
            Last edited by Mekanix; 02-12-2014, 08:19 AM.
            Stephen.
            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
            X