How to shorten front forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to shorten front forks

Does anyone know of a good write up on shortening the front forks??? I feel I've seen one on here and can't find it.

I'm mainly looking for something with a parts description before I open these up.

Cheers

I think the answer depends on what you have & what you are trying to accomplish.

For example,
    My Suzuki GT750 has a GS1100 front end on it. The GS1100 forks are a good bit longer than the original GT750's.
    I'm fairly short and the increased fork length was a problem when stopped.

I installed a Progressive Suspension lowering kit & the front end now sits at about the same height as the original.

Comment

Already gave you the link to look at the parts fiche in your other thread
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

here is a video showing how to internally lower your forks by putting a spacer under the damper unit top
        this shows a 2" lowering using a 2" spacer which adds 2 inches of extra preload to the original springs
        if you don't want extra preload you can cut 2 inches off the bottom of the main spring and fit it under the top of the damper unit, that way you still have the 2" lower forks but with same spring force
        of coarse you can vary the length of spacer/cut spring fitted to get what you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klaPwtm2AX0

-

Comment

The Progressive Suspension lowering kit I used is similar to what firsty suggested.
          The spring is shorter than stock. Instead of making a spacer, the kit includes an additional rebound spring.

Firsty's solution is more flexible in that you can select how much to lower the forks.

Comment

Thanks for the link firsty, thats what I needed to see!

Comment

Working...
            X