the dreaded '80 petcock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the dreaded '80 petcock.

1980 GS550ET, has a leaky gas tank. Bought one off an L model from ebay... about a 1/2 gal smaller, but ok for now. I've heard of the "dreaded 80" petcock, so I got a new vacuum style petcock from another year (not sure which one, but it has a "prime" position, which my old one didn't even have). The new petcock matches specs for p/n 44300-45471 and 44300-45470.

My issue is that the bolt pattern on the new petcock doesn't match up to the new tank (it matches to the old tank just fine though). What is the best way to handle this? should I make an adapter plate to put the new petcock on the tank or should I return the petcock? If I return it, which do you guys recommend? Pingle or vacuum? I want to make sure I have reserve and prime positions on the new one, and cost is definitely a huge factor. Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Actually, you did have a PRIme function on the old petcock. What you didn't have was a REServe.

Another factor to consider is to make SURE that the petcock will not hit anything, like the carbs or the airbox. That was one of the reasons they used that "dreaded" petcock in the first place.

I am assuming that your new tank mounts up OK? If it does, you are lucky, as many of the L tanks use a different set of mounts on the frame.

I am not a fan of adapters, and since clearance was an issue in the first place (hence the shorter "dreaded" petcock), it will take up more of what you don't have. "Pingel" is just a brand name, not a type. "Vacuum" is a type, not a brand name. Not sure if Pingel makes any vacuum-operated units or not, but personally, I prefer a vacuum-operated unit. Your choice will depend on your riding history.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Right, I meant vacuum or gravity (I know vacuum valves are still gravity fed), I'm just trying to figure out what I can get. I like the idea of vacuum valves that I don't need to remember to turn off, but I guess that's a habit I can get accustomed to if necessary.

I did a dry fit of the tank when it first arrived and it seems to mount up brilliantly. Any idea of a part number that might fit? Thanks for the reply.

Comment

80-52mm spacing
        others 44mm spacing.
        I bought a plate and pingle petock when I had one. Those petcocks suck.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

There is a non OEM identical 80 petcock offered from a seller on e bay.
          Around 45$. Its the one I use in my 1100 ET and I am very happy with it.
          Have 2000 problem free miles on it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
            georgefix? I used to use him on eBay a lot.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              georgefix? I used to use him on eBay a lot.
              Not sure of the seller, but sounds like the guy.....there was only one offering for this petcock at that price.....
              I cannot express enough how for that kind of money everyone with a "new to me bike" should just buy a new one. Its a crucial link to the system and can eliminate a TON of wondering what ones fuel problems are.
              Just a little rant for the noobs.....(trust me, I tried to be cheap and get my bike running the cheap way too) when I got my first GS.....but it just aint worth it.
              Shortcuts on 30 year old maintenance cause for an unreliable bike.

Comment

I can't believe that no one has yet found a dirt bike or quad petcock with the correct bolt spacing… Those '80 petcocks have sucked big time for 34 years now.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                  Yep, Georgefix... I broke down and bought one... Just gotta make sure I calibrate the fuel gauge when I put it back together (maybe next time I'll make an adapter) If anyone ever finds another vacuum valve with the correct bolt spacing that can be used. Let me know

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    I can't believe that no one has yet found a dirt bike or quad petcock with the correct bolt spacing… Those '80 petcocks have sucked big time for 34 years now.
                    I was looking at this last week - no shortage of 34mm ones, and I thought of making an adapter plate, but bolt clearance /non interference /overlap is likely problematical. I must have a closer look next time the tank is off and see if an adapter could share the front bolt with the 'cock and if that would leave sufficient clearance for the take-up tube to slot into the tank. Probably not.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                    X