Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are my tires no good? Do they go bad with age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are my tires no good? Do they go bad with age?

Yesterday I was looking over my tires on my bike. They look brand new, but they are dated 2003. That seems old to me? What are your guys thoughts?

They are due for replacement
    I think the max is 5 yrs but even that would be too much for a cautious driver.

Comment

Sorry correction they are dated 2007. I think I will buy a new set.

Comment

Most say 5/6 years but if there is no tiny cracks in the treads you should be fine.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

2007, so they're going on 7 years old. General consensus is that most tires aren't to be trusted after 5 or 6 years. These tires might be good for another season or two. But then again, maybe not.

Being that it's the middle of winter... if it were my bike, I would just replace them so I could wipe my hands and not have to worry about it any further. A set of Shinkos is pretty cheap.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I'm running 6 year old tires on my new 550 temporarily, just took off the original front and thirty year old rear. I had these tires/wheels around here so slapped them on. You can feel the difference. More slippery than new tires, the rubber is a little bit hardened. They squirm around on paint stripes and manhole covers. I am not going to push them in corners at all. Got to get the new ones on there.

I did ride around the block a couple times very slowly on the original tires, they were terrible.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I'm running 6 year old tires on my new 550 temporarily, just took off the original front and thirty year old rear. I had these tires/wheels around here so slapped them on. You can feel the difference. More slippery than new tires, the rubber is a little bit hardened. They squirm around on paint stripes and manhole covers. I am not going to push them in corners at all. Got to get the new ones on there.

I did ride around the block a couple times very slowly on the original tires, they were terrible.
              Running some Phantoms Tom?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Running some Phantoms Tom?
                Don't know the Phantoms. The original front and thirty year old rear were MagMopus, the six year old ones are Bridestone Spitfires, the new ones to go on are RoadRiders.

Comment

what about new tires never mounted that are a few years old. its UV and heat that kill tires right. so say someone out on tires with a date code from 2010. are they already 3/4 years taken off the lifespan?

Comment

Stored indoors in a cool dry place they will last longer. Sealed in plastic longer yet. I'd run them.

Comment

Tires don't necessarily get bad just because they are old. It depends on how the tires were made and stored.

In 1997 I could no longer find the exact stock size of tire for my 1982 GS650G. I wrote US Suzuki a letter on this. They still had original Bridgestone Mag Mopus stock tires in their warehouse and advised me to buy those. So Suzuki was happy to recommend 15 year old tires.

Tires contain antiozonants and antioxidants. When garaged and protected from gasoline, tires should be fine for ten years or more. When I worked for Firestone, they would occassionally teall employees about tires still in service from before WWII. To be sure, those were either on fire trucks or front tires for tractors, easy service both. Still, 40 years is a long time.

If the rubber shows signs of hardening or has any weather checking, replace the tire. If the tire looks fine. you're probably better off to do other things for safety's sake.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                      X