'77 GS400 Project starting from scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'77 GS400 Project starting from scratch

hi everybody! this is my first post here but i have been lurking the forum for quite awhile now. i swapped my old digital camera for this GS400 (so says the previous owner) which i have been eying for a few weeks now which is the reason i've ended up in this forum. brought the bike home just last night and to be honest, just from looking at it, i'm thinking that there's going to be a lot of work to be done. so i'm going to have a friend help me out with some of the work when he can and i am also hoping to be able to ask you guys for some help along the way. as of the moment, i just want to make sure i can run the engine, and when that happens i'll decide if i want/can do a full restoration or something else like a cafe.

so anyways, here it is...

as far as i can tell this is a 1977 model by it having a disc brake up front and there's a start button on the rh switch so it should have an electric starter (but for the life of me, i can't even locate the starter motor, if there is one). can you help me out and confirm what year this one is for me? i can barely see anything on the frame headtube, looking for the frame vin.

also i have a number of questions, but i'll ask this one first as i can't seem to find the answers i'm looking for -- when i install a Dyna S for the GS400, what electronics will i be bypassing or not use anymore?

I finally found the bike's VIN and i guess it really is a 1977 model as i don't see any letters after the GS400.

Now i can finally start looking for parts as i strip off the bike to the frame.

Comment

Hey mate, welcome!

The starter motor is under the cover which is under the carbs and cam chain tensioner.

If you haven't done so yet, download the Clymer and Haynes manuals and these will help out a lot.

The Dynatek kit for the 400's includes coils and electronic ignition, but you'll also need to buy spark plug leads as well.

You'll need to retain your mechanical advance unit (under the timing cover) but the points will be replaced by the electronic Dynatek plate with the pickups and coil drivers on it. You will also replace your stock ignition coils with the Dynatek ones.

I found the instructions easy enough to follow but if you have any hassles the guys at Dynatek are extremely helpful.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Love the old paint, you should clean that up and clear over it when your done.

Comment

Pete, thanks man. i found where the starter motor was hidden while tinkering with the motor awhile ago. anyways, another think about the Dyna S system, will i bypass the old ignition coils/condensers (did i get that right?) under the tank? and also the CDI? but everything else will be used right?

mrbridgeport, i wish i could keep it that way but the tank and front mud guard have got to get new paint.

Comment

Working...
          X