Changing single disk to dual disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing single disk to dual disk

I have a 82 gs750t. I have seen a lot of the gs750 with dual front brakes. Does this come stock on other gs model? Would this mod be easy to do to my bike?

By 1982 all but the T had dual brakes. Easy swap, all bolt on stuff. You will need both forks, both discs, and of course the calipers. Get new brake lines while you're at it. Not sure, does your T have leading axle forks? Do a little research before you buy anything.

I am doing this tomorrow on my '79 550, using '81 650 forks and brakes.

Consider also Saltymonk's twin pot Kawasaki brakes, you get much better braking power than the GS's old school dual brakes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think I have a Trailing axle. I am not 100% sure.

Comment

In that case forks from an L or an E model 750 should work with your triple clamps.. Again do research before you buy anything.

Wait, trailing axle?

Comment

I am sorry I am still new to this. My axel is located in the center of my forks

Comment

OK, if your forks are 35mm then dual brakes and forks from a 650G or 650E will work. The 850 had 37mm forks, so it won't fit. The other 750 forks with the leading axles would work if you used the triple clamps too. There may be others, perhaps the later 550? Don't know about that one but I think it had 35mm forks and dual brakes.

Comment

I would recommend changing the complete front end off of either an 850 or 1000G of '80-81 vintage. Besides the twin brakes, calipers, spacers, etc. you get the added bonus of the 37mm forks. AllBalls makes a replacement bearing set for that swap at around $30.00. You shouldn't have to pay more than about $100-150 for the complete front end. Sell your left over parts to recoup some of the money.
              Edit: the 650 forks are shorter.

Comment

Working...
              X