• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by londonboards View Post

Any chance?
    Probably not......

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
      This is what I get now on my mobile (iPhone):...

Then because you can't read it you expand it to this:...

which is again useless as you then have to keep scrolling sideways.

This is what proper mobile v Bulletin looks like:...
      Frank keeps this site going for free. We're lucky to have it at all. It will stay pretty much like it is until

A) Frank gets tired of it
      or
      B) A good web site designer donates his services to help Frank. An offer to donate services would not be worth much unless it is likely that the designer will stray around for years to do the maintenance.
      or
      C) Donations to support the site rise enough to pay a designer to add features.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
        Frank keeps this site going for free. We're lucky to have it at all. It will stay pretty much like it is until

or
        B) A good web site designer donates his services to help Frank. An offer to donate services would not be worth much unless it is likely that the designer will stray around for years to do the maintenance.
        or
        I offered my services to upgrade the site, a few times....

you don't need a web designer, this is not a web page, it's a forum, it runs Vbulletin upgrade it to the latest version, or at least one that is somewhat newer

Skins and the look of Vbulletin can be changed, and done for free lots of skins out there for the taking

don't even need donations, don't even have to move to another server or anything, just do the upgrade and install some skins

I used to change the site based on the holidays, we had a Christmas skin, a Halloween skin, and so on, and all were free and no web designer needed

What the site needs is someone to maintain the site and help with things like this, I offered but was never asked....

The site Admin should get some staff to help out, I had a site, had 10 staff members that helped out, not one was paid, most like to be part of a site especially if they can help out on it....

Anyways, just letting you know, it can be done for free for the most part...and it does not take hours and hours a day to maintain.....

if someone was here just to move threads into the proper forum at times would be a great benefit, or setting up an auto message to new members about BikeCliff's site, and so many other little things like that....

And no it don't require advertisement banners and all that.......

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post

you don't need a web designer, this is not a web page, it's a forum, it runs Vbulletin upgrade it to the latest version, or at least one that is somewhat newer

Skins and the look of Vbulletin can be changed, and done for free lots of skins out there for the taking

don't even need donations, don't even have to move to another server or anything, just do the upgrade and install some skins

I used to change the site based on the holidays, we had a Christmas skin, a Halloween skin, and so on, and all were free and no web designer needed

What the site needs is someone to maintain the site and help with things like this, I offered but was never asked....

The site Admin should get some staff to help out, I had a site, had 10 staff members that helped out, not one was paid, most like to be part of a site especially if they can help out on it....

Anyways, just letting you know, it can be done for free for the most part...and it does not take hours and hours a day to maintain.....

if someone was here just to move threads into the proper forum at times would be a great benefit, or setting up an auto message to new members about BikeCliff's site, and so many other little things like that....

Could not agree more Gatekeeper! I think I saw once somewhere that there are 3 or 4 people including Frank that have some involvement with the site. I don't think any are regulars users of the site. I would be very comfortable if a guy like yourself could be a "boots on the ground" type of helper with the site because you are at least here on the site regularly.

I had some questions for Frank and something I needed fixed that was a mistake. It was basically a thirty second issue to fix. Took several weeks to respond to the email and he said he would correct at the next update which in turn turned out to be 3-4 more weeks. All is good now but it illustrates the point he could use more help on here.

Comment

Probably not......
            Originally posted by themess View Post

or
            or

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
            Could not agree more Gatekeeper! I think I saw once somewhere that there are 3 or 4 people including Frank that have some involvement with the site. I don't think any are regulars users of the site. I would be very comfortable if a guy like yourself could be a "boots on the ground" type of helper with the site because you are at least here on the site regularly.

I had some questions for Frank and something I needed fixed that was a mistake. It was basically a thirty second issue to fix. Took several weeks to respond to the email and he said he would correct at the next update which in turn turned out to be 3-4 more weeks. All is good now but it illustrates the point he could use more help on here.
            Ever since I joined in Dec 2012, this is/was/always will be a topic of discussion that will more than likely not improve as suggested.

I can see the need for geographical admins as well as GSR support members who can monitor shenanigans and move threads to their respective folders.

The initial start-up would be challenging but it involves a lot of teamwork and TRUST which may be a barrier that explains the bottleneck for improvements to the site.

I've had no issues logging on with my smartphone and I don't really like apps that take shortcuts.

From what I've experienced, if Frank doesn't answer, start by posting a thread of the TASK you are about to begin. Include pictures and gain interest from fellow GSers who may have completed some of the work being done.

The members here are very helpful as long as the OP has good manners and isn't too difficult to deal with. I find that challenging for most because of the age group that logs on here. No offense to anyone but we are pretty much set in our ways.

Ed
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-19-2014, 11:08 AM.
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

The bottom line is, as Tom said, we are lucky to have Frank to provide this forum for us for FREE.

The people that don't like how it is presented, updated, or run should be gracious enough as to stop whining and moaning.

Enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Just joined KZRider for the "new" GPz project http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=218418 ,are the ads there annoying.

Comment

The search function here is of limited usefulness at best. Unfortunately I haven't seen it work better on any other forum I've visited. At Audio Karma it's so pitiful I just use google to search questions. The AK's search will turn up a bunch of crap for a query while Google turns up tons of great info on the AK site.
                  "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                    The bottom line is, as Tom said, we are lucky to have Frank to provide this forum for us for FREE.

The people that don't like how it is presented, updated, or run should be gracious enough as to stop whining and moaning.

Enjoy it for what it is!
                    Sorry, but the "its FREE so stop b*tching" is a used as an excuse for the site not keeping up with the times.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                      The search function here is of limited usefulness at best. Unfortunately I haven't seen it work better on any other forum I've visited. At Audio Karma it's so pitiful I just use google to search questions. The AK's search will turn up a bunch of crap for a query while Google turns up tons of great info on the AK site.
                      Agreed. Most of the forum sites I visit have poor search functions. Some of the forums use the sticky's to their advantage though. To save Steve or Tkent from having to type another response to a petcock or carb issue their could be a sticky in the Carb/Fuel/Exhaust section thats says : Carb issues, start here or Petcock Issues start here.

I don't necessarily mind the new questions though, that's what makes it a forum, but wish people could use choose better the section where their questions get posted.

Comment

I did not intend to be critical of the site. For anyone with a GS Suzuki, this is the place to go and we all know that. Furthermore, the community is not insecure and snarky, but rather people are generally friendly, and there is a ton of help here. To repeat, these bikes have the same recurring issues and a sort of clearinghouse on what to expect and fix would help the unknowing and inexperienced.

Comment

Working...
                        X