How far can I take this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far can I take this thing?

Alright so I just bought my first bike. It's a Suzuki 650 '81. It's got over +66,500 plus miles on it. Yeah it's burning up oil in the pistons, but I'm going to get it taken care of soon. My question is, once I get it in good running order again, could I hypothetically take it anywhere? Of course I'm going to carry a tool box with me, but I don't want to have to be doing any heavy work on the motor in an unfamiliar town. Does anyone have experience taking a classic with this many miles on long rides? Was it reasonably reliable after this much use? Please share any experiences.

I'm a restless young man like many of you where/are.

Comment

The longest trip ive taken was a 900 mile weekend on an 83 1100e with approximately 25 k miles. No problems, many smiles. As long as its sorted and proven beforehand, I'd think you're ok.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by ryanrod View Post
        Does anyone have experience taking a classic with this many miles on long rides? Was it reasonably reliable after this much use? Please share any experiences.
        Does "southwest oHIo" to Four Corners (NM, CO, UT, AZ) qualify as "long ride"?

Rather reliable until the ignitor quit as we were leaving Durango, Colorado to come home.

Had to rent a U-Haul truck to get my wife's 850 home, but it turned out to be a good thing. Just west of Dodge City, Kansas, the u-joint in the driveshaft on my Kawasaki Voyager broke, so we had to shoehorn both bikes in there.

Since then, it has been to Nebraska three times, West Virginia four times and South Carolina twice.

Last edited by Steve; 02-08-2014, 12:10 AM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

CharlieG is about as close to a qualified answer as you will get around here. He has taken his little 650G everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
            CharlieG is about as close to a qualified answer as you will get around here. He has taken his little 650G everywhere.
            Not really everywhere.I find that my 650 g can move my 150 lb person and gear quite well and in moderate comfort. I've done a quite a few days of 300 miles a day or more. They are as reliable as you make it. I would only fault the 650 for not being able to keep up with the liter boys when it comes to limited passing opportunities in the mountains. I'm pretty Physics Teacher has over 90 k miles on his and still going strong. I think Flaggo is another one wit a high mileage bike. Mine's at 48 k miles, but needs a new head gasket as I don't like oil on my right foot.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I did over 3000kms in a week, rested for 3 days and then did another 2200kms.
              I did 2000kms this summer over 11 days with an oil leak, no tach or speedo cable and several other issues when my car broke down.
              I carried tools but only ended up using them to help get my friends brand new supermoto get back on the road, haha.

Comment

I had aGs 1100 that had 97000 miles on it when I sold it( i didn't ride iit all those miles, but maintained it for the guy that did for about 20 years). I got it from him when he bought another But I do believe the guy that bought it is still riding it
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

The GS I've had the longest amount of time(bought in 86) a 1100E has been rode everywhere and the only time it has had a problem that was a delay was a coil once and a stator......pretty good odds!!! no problems at all last 17 years

Comment

Anywhere where the roads are decent. For remote locations with washboard dirt roads I would suggest something with more suspension, though.

Its generally a question of mindset; you can go around the world on a bicycle. Will take time and comfort might be lacking, but it has been done quite a few times. Your 650 beats a bicycle any old day.

Comment

Once the maintenance is caught up, you can go anywhere. More reliable than any new bike as it is simpler.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have done a mechanical restoration on my "G" over the last two years and have done several 1000 mile trips on it the "G" since, I have a 3000 mile trip scheduled in April and the only reason l wouldn't take it is the excellent fairing on my RT.

These are 30 pluses year old bikes and to be sure you just need to address anything that would breakdown over that time period, pretty much all the rubber and gaskets, electrical, breaks etc.

I ended up doing a complete engine overhaul as a result of failed seals between the transmission and secondary drive, just took the opportunity to bring her back to like new condition and couldn't be happier with the outcome. I did spend more than I would have guessed but now I literally would ride it anywhere any time and in any weather.

I can't replace it with anything else that I would want for the same investment.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ryanrod View Post
                          Alright so I just bought my first bike. It's a Suzuki 650 '81. It's got over +66,500 plus miles on it. Yeah it's burning up oil in the pistons, but I'm going to get it taken care of soon. My question is, once I get it in good running order again, could I hypothetically take it anywhere? Of course I'm going to carry a tool box with me, but I don't want to have to be doing any heavy work on the motor in an unfamiliar town. Does anyone have experience taking a classic with this many miles on long rides? Was it reasonably reliable after this much use? Please share any experiences.
                          The phrase in bold above is your key. The most important part of 'good running order' for GSs is the charging system. If you know your stator and RR are sound (pass checks, are relatively new and are NOT OEM) your GS should take you as far as you want to go and bring you safely home. If you are not sure your GS is electrically sound, you probably should not ride beyond a distance where you can call a friend to pick you up.

I mostly ride my GSs on long trips. I don't commute and rarely go out riding on weekends. In 2012 on my 1100E I did a 10,000 mile six week swing through the Pacific Northwest and Northern Plains back to Florida. A few years before that I rode one of my 850s with 65000 miles or so on the clock up to the Brown County ride in Indiana, then over to the Boston area to attend a wedding and after that back down to Florida. Before that I rode a different 850 up to a GS ride in Maine and back. Maybe ten years ago I rode my 1100GK out to Las Vegas and back. Just about every year I ride up to one or more GSR rides in Indiana, Kentucky, or West Virginia (7-800 miles or so range). Many more but you get the idea.

IF YOU HAVE THE ELECTRICS TAKEN CARE OF and otherwise have the bike in 'good running order' these old GSs will carry you to the ends of the earth (the ends that have decent roads to them anyway).

One other caveat. I assume your 650 is a G model (shaft drive) in which case do a forum search on the word "splines."
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Don, I don't think the 650s ever had spline issues. Not 100 percent sure.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                              If you are not sure your GS is electrically sound, you probably should not ride beyond a distance where you can call a friend to pick you up.

IF YOU HAVE THE ELECTRICS TAKEN CARE OF and otherwise have the bike in 'good running order' these old GSs will carry you to the ends of the earth (the ends that have decent roads to them anyway).

One other caveat. I assume your 650 is a G model (shaft drive) in which case do a forum search on the word "splines."
                              In all of the GS stories of cross country type trips that I have read on this forum, besides an errant clutch cable or some other minor glitch, the stators have been the one thing to fail while on those trips. This is all great advice from dpep.

Comment

Working...
                              X