How far can I take this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    Don, I don't think the 650s ever had spline issues. Not 100 percent sure.
    Interesting. I wonder why that would be? The 650s only began being produced the year the buttery splines started being used in the other Gs. Power issue? Different part number? I have never owned a 650 myself. Maybe someone else will be able to shed some light.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I took my 79' 850 on a 3000+ trip with no issues. I've taken my 78' 1000 on many 7000KM+ trips, on my own and doubled up with full gear with no issue's at all. As well I've taken my 80 1000G on 5000+ trip with no issue's and plan to do more. Do all the routine maintenance and get her running good. Replace the reg/rec and stator ect.. and you can go anywhere you want. Take a good tool set, some gasket maker and a few extra cables (clutch, throttle ect..) and you're good to go.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Don, I don't think the 650s ever had spline issues. Not 100 percent sure.
        Mine was trashed at 30k miles. I wouldn't take any spline from granted, check and lube them yearly!

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
          Mine was trashed at 30k miles. I wouldn't take any spline from granted, check and lube them yearly!

cg
          Ok, good to know. Maybe mine was already replaced.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I did a ride from Washington to Michigan and back around Lake Superior, on a non stock bike with 90,000 miles on the clock and tired o-rings in the carbs. Fouled a few plugs in a torrential downpour and needed a friend to send a new chain and sprockets + a 32mm socket, while I was in Michigan. On the way home my clutch cable frayed in South Dakota, but I had a spare used one in my tail pack. I think I did the trip with a used stator I bought from TCK. No flats or tickets either.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Ask Chris Sorbi how far an old GS can go.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I am so old that I remember when CB350's routinely traveled across the country. Why not a more modern/larger bike?

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                  Interesting. I wonder why that would be?

The 650s only began being produced the year the buttery splines started being used in the other Gs.

Power issue?

Different part number?

I have never owned a 650 myself. Maybe someone else will be able to shed some light.
                  The 650G appeared in 1981. The soft splines appeared (mostly) in the 1982 bikes.

Power? The 650 generates about 6 hp less than the 850.
                  I think it's more about 'weight', as the 650 is almost 100 pounds lighter than the 850.
                  (480 pounds for the 650, 557 for the 850, dry weights for both. Since the 850 carries about two more gallons of gas, the extra 12+ pounds helps make up the difference in wet weights.)

The same part number for the splines is used on the 650, 850, 1000 and 1100 shafties. The 450GA uses a different one. Apparently, the '79 850 does, too.

Alpha-Sports - Part Number Cross-Reference - Where Used
                  Part Number or Accessory Name

Last edited by Steve; 02-16-2014, 12:14 AM.
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not at all shy about taking any GS I ride on long trips, the last one was a little over 2000 miles to southern Cal. and back. Do the maintenance and you will be fine.
                    V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I rode my 82 GS650G 6,000 miles in three weeks, including 1,000 miles in 24 hours. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

6 bikes 300 miles yesterday, had to repair 1 Harley 3 times, it ultimately broke down 15 miles from home, 5 houses from my Mom's place, parked it n rode home in a cage.
                        Battery had to be replaced, of course I got to go get it because I was the only one with luggage capacity on my G/K.
                        The final break down on the Harley, it spit the clutch bolt shattering his primary cover nicely, I saw the sparks n parts fly down the road, at 8pm.
                        You couldn't pay me to own a Harley.
                        My bags started out pretty much empty, and somehow ended up full, toting every ones crap lol.
                        I would check compression first for burning oil, if that's good it needs Valve seals, a bike 30 years old with 60k most like they are dried up, but having the head off may as well, measure pistons and bore and if within spec a light hone and rings should be sufficient. Just my 2 cents cause I'm that poor.

Comment

Both of my bikes have been cross country. The 850 I bought with 25k on the clock, didn't have to do anything much to it until it had 68k. It has been ridden by me to the east coast once, twice to California, and a Midwest trip to Indiana and back, as well as all over MN, Iowa and Wisconsin. I've got work to do on it, otherwise it would be over the 100k mark already. My 1100G I've put 20k on since I got it 3 years ago. It had some ignitor problems, fixed that, it's been to Colorado and back, as well as all over MN. If I had the chance and the time to do it, I could leave tomorrow and ride to California and back, no problem. It has 97,500 miles on it presently.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                            I took my 79' 850 on a 3000+ trip with no issues. I've taken my 78' 1000 on many 7000KM+ trips, on my own and doubled up with full gear with no issue's at all. As well I've taken my 80 1000G on 5000+ trip with no issue's and plan to do more. Do all the routine maintenance and get her running good. Replace the reg/rec and stator ect.. and you can go anywhere you want. Take a good tool set, some gasket maker and a few extra cables (clutch, throttle ect..) and you're good to go.
                            I thought yours had a loose nut between the seat and the throttle.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I took three of them, 2 850s and an 1100G across the USA on a trim in 2009. over 5000 miles, the way that we went. One bike boiled the battery dry. I changed the sense wire to the battery from the tail light wire, and that was cured. The 1100 stared with close to 60,000 miles. One of the 850s had 45000 miles at the start. I love that bike, I paid 600 bucks for it, and put thousands of miles on it before I spent any money on it.
                              Last edited by 850 Combat; 05-01-2014, 11:54 AM.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

You guys in the sates are so lucky over here (New Zealand) after 6 hours of straight out riding you either have to stop or turn around and head back. I did 18 hours straight in one day stopping for fuel food and a smoke when needed on a unmaintained gs750 which had 140 k on the clock with no pre checks apart from oil level and tyre pressure (was young and dumb) didn't miss a beat.
                                had it a few years best bike ever (never did oil change etc) just rode it lots

Comment

Working...
                                X