How far can I take this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cougar View Post
    You guys in the sates are so lucky over here (New Zealand) after 6 hours of straight out riding you either have to stop or turn around and head back. ...
    Living in Hawaii might get to be boring.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
      Living in Hawaii might get to be boring.
      Hawaii is awesome, you can ride without turning back and end up where you started. Alot of motor sport people seem to like this concept. I think they call it a "track"

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
        Hawaii is awesome, you can ride without turning back and end up where you started. Alot of motor sport people seem to like this concept. I think they call it a "track"
        sounds like to many corners and not enough long straights.

I suppose once one side of the tyre wears out you ride the other direction ?

Comment

summer of 2012.

20,000km on a GS1100GK.

Everything broke....But kept going.
          Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
          1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
            I was there quite a few years ago, and drove a small car around Oahu.

Once you rounded the sandy beach corner from Waikiki and headed around Diamond Head you hoped you would not meet anyone coming from the other direction because one of you would have to back up, with possibly several miles of backing up, because the road was carved into the side of the mountain and was only about 8 feet wide. Motorcycles could pass, cars could not.

The alternative was a rather sharp descent.....

Absolutely stunning views! Literally breathtaking.
            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Highway Glider/ Daniel's trek into the far north fully earned the word "trek" . It became an exceptional ride that repeatedly tested both him and his bike, including circumstances most of us may never experience.

He truly showed us that if you set it up properly, and are prepared for the unexpected, a GS bike can haul you through to any destination....and then return home.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

'80 850G. Last two summers have both seen 800 mile trips ranging from 3 days to a week, fully loaded, two-up. Bike never missed a beat.

Fortunately, any issues I've experienced have been when riding locally. Most of them minor. Only one that would have been a problem on the road was the stator and/or RR. Both replaced now, but that may have been interesting a longer distance from home. I'd carry a spare on a longer ride.

Comment

I'm planning a rather long motorcycle adventure to BC Canada this summer. I was naturally planning on riding my BMW. Now, after doing some work on the 850 I'm thinking about giving it the nod. I'm going to be taking the 850 on some 200-300 mile trips this summer so I'll see how it goes...
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                    Highway Glider/ Daniel's trek into the far north fully earned the word "trek" . It became an exceptional ride that repeatedly tested both him and his bike, including circumstances most of us may never experience.

He truly showed us that if you set it up properly, and are prepared for the unexpected, a GS bike can haul you through to any destination....and then return home.
                    Thanks Ron.

You are too kind.

The GK still sports the shifter you gave me that time.

That picture was taken just after installing it....With loctite® .
                    Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider View Post
                      summer of 2012.

20,000km on a GS1100GK.

Everything broke....But kept going.
                      I've been to Chicken with GS850s

And Dawson

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Hi 850combat.

When was that trip?

When I went that way I also did Chicken.

And of course Dawson.

I went via the "Top of the World Highway". That's a misnomer.

Last edited by Highway_Glider; 05-01-2014, 01:05 PM.
                        Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                        1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Summer Solstice 1987 The '83 850G was brand new, purchased by me in Fairbanks at the dealer.

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

im more concerned with my backside holding out than the bike.

Comment

Working...
                            X