15 years of owning my GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 years of owning my GS

As often is the case, during the cold, icy, snowy months, I become misty about all things related to my cycle, and find myself looking thru old photos. I occasionally marvel at the fact that im on my 15th year of ownership.
    I've posted a fair amount of pics, particularly in the Riding Game, and Anyone go for a ride today? Threads, and Ive recieved a few comment that my cycle is nice....I'm here to put that rumor to rest ..Cool?.... Loved?... Hell yes, but not nice.
    At the cajoling of Ed (gsxr7ed), ive posted in my album the ugly truth of my cycle, all in good fun. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p?albumid=2518 (the pics uploaded newest to oldest) On one hand I rescued it from a dark corner in a cluttered garage, and put another GS in service, but clearly I havent been the greatest steward of this machine. (Lack of cash). If anyone is extermely bored, feel free to checkout the pics and comment, laugh at, mock me, whatever...its all in good fun. Also id love to hear other long term ownership stories...

Unfortunately, I have no pics of the gift in the form of a screw in cylinder 3 and the resulting bent valves, or a severely burned R/R that left me stranded 200 miles from home.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Great photo essay!
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks DB

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      As often is the case, during the cold, icy, snowy months, I become misty about all things related to my cycle, and find myself looking thru old photos. I occasionally marvel at the fact that im on my 15th year of ownership.
      I've posted a fair amount of pics, particularly in the Riding Game, and Anyone go for a ride today? Threads, and Ive recieved a few comment that my cycle is nice....I'm here to put that rumor to rest ..Cool?.... Loved?... Hell yes, but not nice.
      At the cajoling of Ed (gsxr7ed), ive posted in my album the ugly truth of my cycle, all in good fun. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p?albumid=2518 (the pics uploaded newest to oldest) On one hand I rescued it from a dark corner in a cluttered garage, and put another GS in service, but clearly I havent been the greatest steward of this machine. (Lack of cash). If anyone is extermely bored, feel free to checkout the pics and comment, laugh at, mock me, whatever...its all in good fun. Also id love to hear other long term ownership stories...

Unfortunately, I have no pics of the gift in the form of a screw in cylinder 3 and the resulting bent valves, or a severely burned R/R that left me stranded 200 miles from home.
      Hey DB,

I'm proud of being a "T" owner going on 2 years this November 24. Although I've only been riding since Sept 2011, it feels like a good amount of time; enough where my adventures have made an impact on my riding time.

Thanks for posting these pics. I am carefully screening each because I love how different your bike is from mine...I'll start by saying I think they look somewhat similar but let me do some more viewing.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks guys for checking out my pics and for the kind comments. Although I posted it in a tounge in cheek fashion, I absolutely love this bike, and have many great memories of riding it, from pure joy to quiet contemplation when I just needed to get away for a bit.
        Ed, although you've only been riding for 2 years, your enthusiasm is infectious, and ive enjoyed your posts. The fact that youve taken your cycle cross country and sampled riding in other parts of the country is so cool
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Good Times

Thanks guys for checking out my pics and for the kind comments. Although I posted it in a tounge in cheek fashion, I absolutely love this bike, and have many great memories of riding it, from pure joy to quiet contemplation when I just needed to get away for a bit.
          Ed, although you've only been riding for 2 years, your enthusiasm is infectious, and ive enjoyed your posts. The fact that youve taken your cycle cross country and sampled riding in other parts of the country is so cool
          Thanks for mentioning me in a good light DB. I guess I saved all my excitement for the latter part of my adult life.

I had strict parents and a mother who tried to protect me from all she thought was dangerous...after all, I grew up in the barrio and walked by potential threats every day on my way through Jr. High/High School.

The "moving around" part of my life is attributed to my military career. I'm so glad I lived outside of the US. It's opened my eyes about the way other people live...not just how the states operates.

I'll get off my soapbox now but know that I look for your posts too and enjoy reading your stories. See you around.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Moms...... When I brought my first streetbike- a Kawasaki kz 550, my mom threatened me with paying rent if I rode it..I rode it, she didn't make me pay rent....Maybe something to do with the fact that my dad rode in his younger years...I didn't question it.
            sigpic

Glen
            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

That is eerily familiar. My dad, who bought me my first dirtbike, threatened the same when I brought home an '82 GPz 550.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                That is eerily familiar. My dad, who bought me my first dirtbike, threatened the same when I brought home an '82 GPz 550.
                Funny....My dad was generally supportive-at least he didn't discourage our riding. A funny memory I have of him was when he took a ride on my brothers' friends Yamaha FZR 400. At 5'6"and with a medium gut, he squeezed aboard and took a lap aound the block...He returned smiling. When I bought my first GS, I gave him the Kawasaki, his first bike in many, many years. He seemed to enjoy it, and would disappear on it for a couple of hours on nice summer evenings.
                Last edited by dorkburger; 02-16-2014, 12:35 AM. Reason: misspell
                sigpic

Glen
                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

more ugliness

eventually found mid panels claiming to be from an 85. Turns out they were 84. The blue is different. And came pre scratched

Front end..Banged up fairing mount mirrors were replaced with bar ends. I like the look of the fairing without them. Plus, the year i rode with no fairing i needed something. A couple of hours of cutting and grinding rubber(yuck) netted narrowed turn signals. I cut the stalks, then ground down the remaining to fit inside of the plastic light housing, then cut a slot to refit the retaining ring then rewired...My family was between homes at the time and living with the in laws..i had time. This eliminated the giant floppy stalks, yet retained the factory lights. I didnt want to go with tiny ones for visibilitys sake.
                  The black fairing stripe was damaged on a road trip in heavy, heavy rain.

.....and yes..the bike is frikkin filthy...and the garage is a mess...and cold.

sigpic

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Iron Man

eventually found mid panels claiming to be from an 85. Turns out they were 84. The blue is different. And came pre scratched

Front end..Banged up fairing mount mirrors were replaced with bar ends. I like the look of the fairing without them. Plus, the year i rode with no fairing i needed something. A couple of hours of cutting and grinding rubber(yuck) netted narrowed turn signals. I cut the stalks, then ground down the remaining to fit inside of the plastic light housing, then cut a slot to refit the retaining ring then rewired...My family was between homes at the time and living with the in laws..i had time. This eliminated the giant floppy stalks, yet retained the factory lights. I didnt want to go with tiny ones for visibilitys sake.
                    The black fairing stripe was damaged on a road trip in heavy, heavy rain.

.....and yes..the bike is frikkin filthy...and the garage is a mess...and cold.

This looks like IRON MAN. And your garage looks like a good place to Shelter In Place!!!!

MOPP Level 4 and SIP.

Ed
                    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-15-2014, 02:27 AM.
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Thats funny. Maybe I should get a sign that reads nice garage
                      As a civilian, I dont always understand your lingo, but try to understand thru context.
                      I assume SIP is shelter in place, but MOPP?
                      sigpic

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Military Lingo

Thats funny. Maybe I should get a sign that reads nice garage
                        As a civilian, I dont always understand your lingo, but try to understand thru context.
                        I assume SIP is shelter in place, but MOPP?
                        MOPP=Mission Oriented Protective Posture
                        Reference" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOPP

It's cool DB, basically when the SIP level is established, it goes hand-in-hand with MOPP levels.

Have a great Saturday...I'm going to Carlsbad Caverns today! Why else would I be awake at 0623 on a weekend?

Ed
                        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-16-2014, 12:35 AM.
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Glen,

Very well done. I feel the same way about my 1100G Cooley Rep. I have had it since I was 19 (holy shizz! 26 years) and been back and fourth across the country with it a few times. Even lived in CA twice with the 1100 as primary transportation. Met my wife while cruising on it and even taught my 16 year old son (now 22) how to ride on it. I have gotten a life time of memories from that machine and there is nothing particularly special about it other than it has been a good faithful travel companion.
                          1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

So, how about we talk about the Vespa!

Comment

Originally posted by viperg View Post
                              Glen,

Very well done. I feel the same way about my 1100G Cooley Rep. I have had it since I was 19 (holy shizz! 26 years) and been back and fourth across the country with it a few times. Even lived in CA twice with the 1100 as primary transportation. Met my wife while cruising on it and even taught my 16 year old son (now 22) how to ride on it. I have gotten a life time of memories from that machine and there is nothing particularly special about it other than it has been a good faithful travel companion.
                              Thanks. Im one of those sentimental fools who becomes attached to things..Ive often said that ill ride that cycle as long as I have the desire, and am physically able to do so.

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                              So, how about we talk about the Vespa!
                              NOT a Vespa. 65 Raleigh Roma. A rebadged Bianchi Orsetto. Also sold as a Montgomery Wards Riverside. Ive had this longer then the gs, although unitl 2 years ago it was in my brothers shed. The original owner purchased it in the US Virgin islands. Its really fun to ride, although I need to figure uot how to legalize it.
                              sigpic

Glen
                              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                              X