15 years of owning my GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Charlie!
    Haven't seen you around here in a while. Hope all is well.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

After some consideration, I've decided to ditch the cover panel. It does cover up some ugly stuff, but at the same time I like seeing the mechanical parts. It also makes access to the wiring, etc easier. I also discovered that the main wiring bundle to the cluster was rubbing on the brake line splitter and the cooling fins on the splitter wore the harness wrap off of the bundle. Recovered it and secured the wiring. I still have to get back to sorting the mid panel brackets.

I pulled the fairing off again yesterday to respray the inside. There were a few ugly runs.
      http://GS by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

After much manipulating of the brackets with sometines large presuaders and questoning why bother, I got the answer.
        For the first time in a awhile I peeked into to garage before bed to have a look and smiled.
        http://Untitled by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
        sigpic

Glen
        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Minor elective surgery.
          As noted, I've never been a big fan of the inside fairing cover. Out of the three sun faded tatty ones I have, I took the worst of three and began trimming away, following the line of the trim piece on the mid panel. The original follows the contour of the tank, hiding part of it and the rider's view of the top of the engine. I like seeing that stuff. It also surrounds the gauge cluster.
          The screen still lists to one side, but that may be changing too.

I read on Iconic Motorbikes site (a good site to ogle and dream) that faded plastic can sometimes be restored by slathering it with petroleum jelly and letting it stand for a few days. The fairing trim is gray and chalky so I goobered it up. It seems to have worked well on a couple of other less faded parts I tried it on last week, but I suppose the real test will be sunlight and weather exposure.

I like the opened up look.
          http://GS fairing trim by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
          sigpic

Glen
          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

The ole GS hit 30k miles tonight. Certainly no mean feat considering that I’ve owned it for nearly 23 years now, but I typically haven’t had a lot of free time to ride. There have been seasons where I’ve ridden a few to several thousand miles and lean years where I’ve ridden a few to several hundreds of miles. Regardless, I’m thankful for any time spent riding and the opportunity to escape from life for a couple of fleeting hours, time to contemplate and reflect, or the chance to leave some frustration in my helmet or on the road behind. The pool of memories collected riding this old cycle runs deep these days. Memories of those gone before me, time shared with friends, rides spent in solitary contemplation, and time spent simply living in the moment.

In the ensuing years since buying it in 1999 the cycle has gone from simply an old bike to a classic, but it’s currently state is heavily dependent on one’s opinion. Cosmetically it’s a 37 year old bike and it wears many signs of typical use, a few instances of it going horizontal, and all signs point to it never being a show bike. On the other hand, it was rescued from a dark garage where it sat for 12 years after being heavily abused and crashed in its formative years. After being put back into service it has been ridden every season since. That, in my opinion, is the real story and the prize. That old machine has become a library of memories and stories, which will hopefully grow as time rolls on.
            sigpic

Glen
            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post

The ole GS hit 30k miles tonight. Certainly no mean feat considering that I’ve owned it for nearly 23 years now, but I typically haven’t had a lot of free time to ride. There have been seasons where I’ve ridden a few to several thousand miles and lean years where I’ve ridden a few to several hundreds of miles. Regardless, I’m thankful for any time spent riding and the opportunity to escape from life for a couple of fleeting hours, time to contemplate and reflect, or the chance to leave some frustration in my helmet or on the road behind. The pool of memories collected riding this old cycle runs deep these days. Memories of those gone before me, time shared with friends, rides spent in solitary contemplation, and time spent simply living in the moment.

In the ensuing years since buying it in 1999 the cycle has gone from simply an old bike to a classic, but it’s currently state is heavily dependent on one’s opinion. Cosmetically it’s a 37 year old bike and it wears many signs of typical use, a few instances of it going horizontal, and all signs point to it never being a show bike. On the other hand, it was rescued from a dark garage where it sat for 12 years after being heavily abused and crashed in its formative years. After being put back into service it has been ridden every season since. That, in my opinion, is the real story and the prize. That old machine has become a library of memories and stories, which will hopefully grow as time rolls on.
              Very insightful, historical perspective, Glen.

Lately, I've been having thoughts such as yours...it's taken me a bit longer to come face-to-face with summarizing my life. My "T" had a small section of life as I went out west to NM in Oct of 2013. Six months later, it was JAX, FL but without my "T".

Sounds like we're both working though some things in life and I wish you well in all that you do.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post

Very insightful, historical perspective, Glen.

Lately, I've been having thoughts such as yours...it's taken me a bit longer to come face-to-face with summarizing my life. My "T" had a small section of life as I went out west to NM in Oct of 2013. Six months later, it was JAX, FL but without my "T".

Sounds like we're both working though some things in life and I wish you well in all that you do.

Ed

Hey Ed, thanks.
                I’m certainly not ready to summarize my life yet... But... reflection is good at times. That motley old GS has been a common thread running thru my life from just before marriage to present day... days before my sons were here, my father was here, then passed, to now, where our older son is more and more on his own. The passage of time has been bewilderingly quick...

sigpic

Glen
                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Glen,
                  Thank you for an enjoyable read. You've certainly been through a lot with your beloved ES​. I bought my 82 Kat in 1984 (from the original owner with 2k miles) and I still have her. For a few years it was my only mode of transportation, and for roughly 26 years it was my only bike. Similar story as yours - had it before marriage - long before kids came along, and they're grown and out of the house for a while now, but the Kat is still here in the stable. She's still in pretty good shape, pretty much original except for a 530 changeover, just 27k on the clocks. There were many years when the kids were young and growing up, the Kat would barely get 100 miles a season but she was always registered and insured so a quick (legal) ride was always possible.

When I got out of the Navy (22 years in) and made my way back to my old stomping grounds, the kids were grown, life was becoming stable and warm summer days - and the Kat - were calling. All of my old riding buddies had Harleys, and of course they just love to putt along... Well, 35-45 mph on a Kat is just painful - on both of us! So I was lucky enough to find a long desired 83 1100 ES for a very reasonable cost which became the new go-to bike for rides with the old gang. And she's been a faithful ride too. Shortly after getting the ES, I found the GSR and folks that are comfortable going a bit quicker than 45, which as you know, the ES does with grace.

I don't get the Kat out as often as I'd like, but when I do, she just loves to stretch her legs! So I suppose that's 39 years together (15 for the ES) and still counting.
                  Scott
                  1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                  1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                  1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                  2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                  sigpic

Comment

I purchased my 1983 GS750ES new. I knew the owner of the dealership, he gave it to me at cost. I put it together out of the crate. I've pulled a side car with that rig for 6 years. It's been giving and giving, and has requested very little. This year makes 40 years in my possession. I still have my 1975 Honda CB400F that I purchased under the same conditions, that makes 48 years! I guess I'm kind of a hoarder when it comes to certain things. My ZZR1200 and all of my stuff will go to my son, that's written in stone, so he now wants to put money into them to future proof them while I'm around and can do the upgrades properly.

The '83 GS750ES is getting a GS1150EFE front end, with Katana 750 front and rear rims (3 spoke) so I can pout a 17" rim on the front, as 16" tires are getting limited, and a set of TOKICO calipers, new discs and Galfner steel braided lines, and a set of progressive front fork springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                      I purchased my 1983 GS750ES new. This year makes 40 years in my possession. I still have my 1975 Honda CB400F, that makes 48 years!
                      Wow!!! THAT is some long term ownership!!
                      Scott
                      1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                      1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                      1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                      2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                      sigpic

Comment

These bikes are going to my son, who is as into them as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by gs scott View Post
                          Glen,
                          Thank you for an enjoyable read. You've certainly been through a lot with your beloved ES​. I bought my 82 Kat in 1984 (from the original owner with 2k miles) and I still have her. For a few years it was my only mode of transportation, and for roughly 26 years it was my only bike. Similar story as yours - had it before marriage - long before kids came along, and they're grown and out of the house for a while now, but the Kat is still here in the stable. She's still in pretty good shape, pretty much original except for a 530 changeover, just 27k on the clocks. There were many years when the kids were young and growing up, the Kat would barely get 100 miles a season but she was always registered and insured so a quick (legal) ride was always possible.

When I got out of the Navy (22 years in) and made my way back to my old stomping grounds, the kids were grown, life was becoming stable and warm summer days - and the Kat - were calling. All of my old riding buddies had Harleys, and of course they just love to putt along... Well, 35-45 mph on a Kat is just painful - on both of us! So I was lucky enough to find a long desired 83 1100 ES for a very reasonable cost which became the new go-to bike for rides with the old gang. And she's been a faithful ride too. Shortly after getting the ES, I found the GSR and folks that are comfortable going a bit quicker than 45, which as you know, the ES does with grace.

I don't get the Kat out as often as I'd like, but when I do, she just loves to stretch her legs! So I suppose that's 39 years together (15 for the ES) and still counting.
                          Hey Scott, thanks for the story, and I'm glad you enjoyed mine. Your ES with the matching hard bags was quickly one of my favorite bikes when I joined this site a decade ago. It's fun to be the odd man out on an old UJM among Harleys... I've done that as well. Now in my 51st year I'm feeling a bit lazy. It's about time that I clear a path in the garage and roll the old girl out for Spring rites.
                          Last edited by dorkburger; 04-21-2023, 07:07 PM.
                          sigpic

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Love reading this kind of stuff, thanks for sharing... A bike for 40 yrs is a lot, My 37th anniversary was last wk., 4/17, I still can't believe I've put up with her for that long... Sure wish I'd kept that old "79" GS1000S I's riding back then... Well If I'd only kept one, I guess it's OK the old bike is the one that left.
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I just reread this thread, and ashamed I have not taken more pictures of my bike. That's going to change, today! Thanks!

Comment

The oldest picture I have. My son, around 8 years old (he's 23 now) asked me why I don't ride my bike. I fixed it up, and we started riding together. This is the only picture I have of him with me on the bike, before I put of the Half fairing.

Johnny at 8 on Suzuki.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X