15 years of owning my GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    Thanks. Im one of those sentimental fools who becomes attached to things..Ive often said that ill ride that cycle as long as I have the desire, and am physically able to do so.

NOT a Vespa. 65 Raleigh Roma. A rebadged Bianchi Orsetto. Also sold as a Montgomery Wards Riverside. Ive had this longer then the gs, although unitl 2 years ago it was in my brothers shed. The original owner purchased it in the US Virgin islands. Its really fun to ride, although I need to figure uot how to legalize it.
    Sorry if this is a hijack..... but we are Memory Lane...ing, right?

Those scooters always catch my eye, and I would love to have one.

I lived in Spain as a kid and those scooters were everywhere. It was common to see entire families on one scooter/moped.

I remember seeing the Derbi mopeds, looked really cool because they had a motorcycle gas tank. And, I have always been searching for an example of what was my first bike. I always remember it as a Ducati mini bike. But since the closest I have seen to my recollection is a Benneli, it may have been that.

Thanks for the info and I love your GS!

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
      Sorry if this is a hijack..... but we are Memory Lane...ing, right?

Those scooters always catch my eye, and I would love to have one.

I lived in Spain as a kid and those scooters were everywhere. It was common to see entire families on one scooter/moped.

I remember seeing the Derbi mopeds, looked really cool because they had a motorcycle gas tank. And, I have always been searching for an example of what was my first bike. I always remember it as a Ducati mini bike. But since the closest I have seen to my recollection is a Benneli, it may have been that.

Thanks for the info and I love your GS!
      Please......nowhere near a hijack. Memory laning indeed. I dig the scoot because when I take a loop around the block on it, I feel like a kid, back when we drove, rode, and towed any motorized contraption up and down the street without care. Plus it makes cool 2 stroke noise. Regarding my scooter, I happened upon it for sale locally 20ish years ago, and it was too cool not to buy. It seems to be quite rare. Ive yet to see one for sale, and precious few parts.....

Try checking out ebay> other makes. On a good day, theres quite a few oddball and cool old machines there.

Thanks for digging on my tatty old GS.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Funny....My dad was generally supportive-at least he didn't discourage our riding. A funny memory I have of him was when he took a ride on my brothers' friends Yamaha FZR 400. At 5'6"and with a medium gut, he squeezed aboard and took a lap aound the block...He returned smiling. When I bought my first GS, I gave him the Kawasaki, his first bike in many, many years. He seemed to enjoy it, and would disappear on it for a couple of hours on nice summer evenings.
        Great memories. My Mom never said anything about me riding bikes. I guess because my Dad bought me my first motorcycle when I was in first or second grade--a Honda CT70 trail bike. I remember when he brought home his retirement gift to himself in around 1982. It was a 1975 Kawasaki 900 Z1. He let me jump on the bike and take it for a ride any time I wanted. I can still hear him going through the gears as he left the house and headed up the country road. He was giving it all she had. He was bunged up pretty good with rheumatoid arthritis but being on that bike made him feel free. I am still riding that bike today.

I like your GS. It's ridden and that's the point.

Comment

Originally posted by winfield View Post
          Great memories. My Mom never said anything about me riding bikes. I guess because my Dad bought me my first motorcycle when I was in first or second grade--a Honda CT70 trail bike. I remember when he brought home his retirement gift to himself in around 1982. It was a 1975 Kawasaki 900 Z1. He let me jump on the bike and take it for a ride any time I wanted. I can still hear him going through the gears as he left the house and headed up the country road. He was giving it all she had. He was bunged up pretty good with rheumatoid arthritis but being on that bike made him feel free. I am still riding that bike today.

I like your GS. It's ridden and that's the point.
          Neat story about your dad's 900 Z1, glad you still have it keep it exercised. That is just to cool!
          1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Mr Smilen introduced me to motorcycles in 1981 or 2. No joke that was his name. First ride ever was on a CT-70. Been hooked ever since, even after nearly loosing my right leg in a scuffle with a truck. Owned the Kat for 21 years and the 1150ES for 16. I'd say I'm comfortable on them, more so on the Kat than then the ES.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Carter, that's cool that you've owned those bikes for that long...ive never had the opportunity to ride a Kat.....Heck, ive only seen one in real life once. Regarding the ES. I never liked the stock handlebars' angle. Changing them made a huge difference comfort wise. They are nice cross between cruising comfort and aggression. The extra leverage was welcome also.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Figured I'd do an update of sorts. With the season at an end - despite the wonderfully warm temps this week- I tend to look back at the year and think about the year from a motorcycling perspective. ..

Now 16 years and counting. .

The day after Christmas the carbs got a freshening up- teardown, cleanup, new o rings, and were installed on new intake boots that replaced the original, hard, and cracked ones. This work and a synch made a huge difference in rideability. Very pleased.

Then my search for my engine tick had me open the clutch cover. I figured the loose hub nut was the answer.... but I couldn't not pull the clutch and check things out inside, and I'm sure glad I did.
                I found a missing shim, the washer under the clutch nut was not present, and damage to the oil pump gear, from I'm assuming the lack of clearance due to the missing shim. I would have not known had I not checked out the online fische and noticed them there. Also later discovered that the clutch sleeve was an 1100 piece, with a lot of play at the spline. I later found a new 1150 piece on ebay, bought it and installed it. It then shifted noticeably better. Pleased again....
                Funny how all this time later I'm still finding PO hacks. Such is the nature of not going thru the bike top to bottom after buying it .....

Bad parts / new parts side by side.

Close up of the damaged gear and corresponding washer.

One of the highlights from this year's trip.

As always seems to be the case, just when I think I can look at cosmetic items, mechanicals pop up....

This winter I need to fix this.

Along with a fork rebuild (leaking seals) and new tires...

Sometimes I think my bike will be like the 60 year old bike at a vintage show with a square foot of paint left on it....
                Last edited by dorkburger; 12-12-2015, 12:11 AM.
                sigpic

Glen
                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by viperg View Post
                  Glen,

Very well done. I feel the same way about my 1100G Cooley Rep. I have had it since I was 19 (holy shizz! 26 years) and been back and fourth across the country with it a few times. Even lived in CA twice with the 1100 as primary transportation. Met my wife while cruising on it and even taught my 16 year old son (now 22) how to ride on it. I have gotten a life time of memories from that machine and there is nothing particularly special about it other than it has been a good faithful travel companion.
                  Another hijack coming right up... I really like your G! Makes me want to adapt a Cooley fairing for my 83 E!
                  2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                  2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

No worries Dave. Every bike of Viper's (GSs and others) that I've seen here is a real beauty. His Bad Buffalo is among my favorite bikes.
                    Last edited by dorkburger; 12-12-2015, 08:40 PM.
                    sigpic

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Great pics and story.

Man your PO did a pile of damage in 1,200 miles!
                      Richard
                      sigpic
                      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Ha, no kidding. For my part, I was smitten with the ES, and still am all these years later. Hindsight says I should have passed, but at the time, I had only seen one in the flesh ever, and I didn't want to miss out. Live and learn yes, but I have no regrets either.
                        I've still only ever seen a few in my area after all of these years. And two if them were my cousins'

I always get a laugh when our Canadian members link ads to them on a regular basis.
                        sigpic

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

...another year..

2016 was my worst year for riding since I started with only around 500 miles ridden.With the garage in use as a carpentry shop and house projects dominating last winter / spring, my list of winter projects on the bike didn't get addressed until late spring. I still have a set of tires in the garage waiting to get installed...

First up was repairing the fairing mounting boss that broke off of the frame.

Then I rode a while fairing-less.

Then new for me territory - fork rebuild. It was ultimately a success, but not without operator fault.

Thread here...

Then FINALLY after years of half arsed looking, I found a set of mid panels and front fender in the proper '85 color from a member here (Jareness) and was very pleased.
                          Last edited by dorkburger; 12-18-2016, 09:30 PM.
                          sigpic

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

About a week and a half ago and likely the last ride this year.

The tires are worn to the point that handling is a bit sketchy.
                            That and some other items are on the list this winter.
                            The bike is actually in the garage, not the shed, and I hope to do my winter projects, well, during the winter....
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

What was the temperature there today, Glen?
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Today started warm with and on and off rain and about 60º at best, then a front came thru mid afternoon. It's about 40º now. I thought about trying to grab a quick ride, but we're playing catch up. We're hosting Christmas dinner, and I got called into work yesterday.
                                I generally like to keep the bike ready for an impromptu ride over the winter, but a few tasks will make unrideable for a bit.
                                While the wheels are off for tire replacement, im planning to paint them all black. Ive toyed with this idea for years, and on this rare occasion that both tires are getting changed together, what better time? I also need to pull off the header for paint as well.

I also have an 1150 stator cover coming from Mick to replace the older style one that came with mine. This will give me good reason to inspect the
                                starter / stator side of things.
                                Last edited by dorkburger; 12-18-2016, 10:09 PM.
                                sigpic

Glen
                                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X