1983 gs750ez fork oil level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs750ez fork oil level

On my 1983 gs750ez (european model name gsx750e) I have 35mm kayaba front forks with anti-dive and adjustable air-pressure. Because of a leak I mean to replace the seals and the oil. Inside the fork there are two spring (apart from the reboundspring) that measure: 66mm and 443mm.

For this specific fork model I'm unable to find the right amount and type of fork oil in the different manuals available for this model.

Somebody know the right amounts for this fork? Would help me a lot!

hi and welcome to the site, here is a link to the full service manual for your bike. that should contain all the info you need........

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thank you for the reaction.

I already found the manual you posted the link to.
      The front fork in the manual is not the same as the fork on my bike , although it has both anti-dive and the air pressure adjustment, it only contains one spring instead of two. And the length of this one spring is not the same as the two springs in my forks .

Might it be the case that my bike is a 1982 model that has been on a boat from japan for some time?

I can't find a manual specific for the 1982 model though

Comment

maybe someone has fitted the different spring set up in your forks? i dont know much about the 750's but i am sure someone will be along soon who will be able to give you the correct info.

post a thread up in the "GS owners" section and introduce yourself to the gang.
        dont forget to add your bike model and your location to your signature. and post up a few pics, we like pics........
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

I found an exploded view of the front forks:

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

so an 1982 part. Still don't know the right amount/type of fluid

Comment

The fork oil level should be 130mm on the 750EZ (forks fully compressed and no springs fitted).

Useful little table here:

or in German (from Wilbers):

Last edited by hampshirehog; 02-23-2014, 05:25 PM.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Someone else take a look at the picture of his bike in this thread. It doesn't look like an 82 or 83 model to me. Looks like an 80 or 81. Maybe Europe is different.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

According to TSCC section of the Clymer 750 manual, it's 214cc capacity, 201mm level. That's how I set mine and it rides and handles great.

Of course that's with the forks vertical, compressed, and no springs.

Service limit for springs 63mm short, 439mm long.

If your bike is an EZ it is a '82. Z is the 1982 designation.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...39#post2006939

Someone else take a look at the picture of his bike in this thread. It doesn't look like an 82 or 83 model to me. Looks like an 80 or 81. Maybe Europe is different.

cg
                  Looks like an '82 to me, it has anti-dive and looks just like my bike with a different paint scheme.

[IMG][/IMG]
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by subid View Post
                    Looks like an '82 to me, it has anti-dive and looks just like my bike with a different paint scheme.

[IMG][/IMG]
                    Thanks for getting that straight for me. I was wrong.

cg
                    Last edited by Charlie G; 02-23-2014, 06:53 PM.
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Fork oil level isn't super critical. For any of the late 70s-early 80s GSs, if you set the level to 120mm it will be fine. Generally 10w with the stock springs, with better aftermarket springs you might want to go to 15w.

Follow Step 10 in these instructions:

what you're actually measuring is the air gap.
                      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Thanks for the reactions!

@Subid, I have exactly the same model. Yours is in a really nice condition!

I went to a local suzuki dealer, they found 227ml of 15W fluid for the 1982 model in their documentation on this model. There was no information on the air gap.

this sounds close enough to the 214ml Subid mentions. Springs are also within (longer than) the service limit.

Comment

as long as they are the same both sides, to within a few ml, you will be fine and not notice any difference. compromise and put 220ml in them.
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

We had this model over here in 81/82. My GS550 E ( Z) is from 84 but the Z is telling me that the modelyear was 1982 but the same model has been made up to 85. I really liked that model 750. I just didn't remember that ours had the anti dive fitted just likew my GS550Ez
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X