Clear All

Put the airbox back on to start with
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Put the airbox back on to start with
      Yeah, put the air box back in and the filter. With the air box and filter missing, there is no way the bike is gonna run right. Like others have said here, NO air leaks, meaning the rubbers boots and clamps are all good and sealed as well as the air box system.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Just did a valve adjustment. I found a couple tight valves but nothing to bad. Now time to wait for the new gasket to arrive

Comment

When you do a valve adjustment should I adjust the valves to the higher end of the spec range?

Comment

Originally posted by Master077 View Post
            When you do a valve adjustment should I adjust the valves to the higher end of the spec range?
            Good plan! I aim for high end (or even above!) figuring that it will get smaller as I get older. No rude replies needed!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

OK thanks I will do. I am getting my valve gasket Monday! ! I will know by Wednesday how she starts up! I can't wait to get this bike back into her prime. I have seriously been losing sleep over this bike. P's you guys and lady's have been a real life saver.

Comment

Not to add to your sleeplessness, but.............. I know from experience on my bike that it will start and idle OK with open airbox (no filter), but isn't happy as revs climb. Rethink your carb cleaning- blocked "choke" passages won't let fuel climb into carbs throats to aid cold start.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Not to add to your sleeplessness, but.............. I know from experience on my bike that it will start and idle OK with open airbox (no filter), but isn't happy as revs climb. Rethink your carb cleaning- blocked "choke" passages won't let fuel climb into carbs throats to aid cold start.
                  I am re cleaning my carbs the passages are clean now I believe. I am able to spray carb cleaner through all the choke passages. This means they are clean am I correct? Anything more I should add to my list

Comment

Did you clean out the little feed hole in each fuel bowl -and shoot carbcleaner (like gumout spray) thru the brass tube ?
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      Did you clean out the little feed hole in each fuel bowl -and shoot carbcleaner (like gumout spray) thru the brass tube ?
                      I just did that on all of the carbs. I will see how she starts after I get my valve gasket.

Comment

On a good note I just did a compression test all 145+ on each cylinder! !!

Comment

I just got my valve cover gasket. Going to give this bike one more try! I hope it's not raining tomorrow. If the bike doesn't start I think I will have a mechanic look at it, I don't know what more I can do.

Comment

You set the synch screws so the butterflies were just touching your safety pin on all four throttles? You primed the carburetors? You put new o rings on the mixture screws? In this order, spring, washer, o ring? Where are the mixture screws set? The rubber plugs over the pilot jets are in place?

You blew spray carb cleaner through all of the passages after dipping to ensure all of the passages are the same on all carbs? Spray pattern out of the choke feed tube is the same on all four? All are open to the port in the intake side of the carb? Choke feed passages in the float bowls are all clear?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As mentioned already, make sure the airbox is installed, air filter cleaned and fitted inside the airbox, and all the clamps are tight. GS's won't run for crap with a missing airbox or/or air filter.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X