GS 450e Igniter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450e Igniter

Hello, I have recently purchased a GS 450e that was first registered in the UK in 1987. The bike is currently being repaired at a local shop as it was not running properly, it also needed some work for the annual MOT. From looking at eBay the price of secondhand igniter CDIs seem very expensive, though mine is working at the moment. I have read that a CDI from a GS 500 pre 2001 will fit after changing the connectors, has anybody used a different CDI?

What year is this gs450e? probably has an ignitor (not CDI), but I don't know. Back up to the electrical/ignition forum and look at member kokar's work at very top.
    Be happy if your ignition module is working- buying used/untested ones is iffy
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      What year is this gs450e? probably has an ignitor (not CDI), but I don't know. Back up to the electrical/ignition forum and look at member kokar's work at very top.
      Be happy if your ignition module is working- buying used/untested ones is iffy
      My bike is one of the late model GS 450's that were produced prior to the 500. I will have a look at Kokers posts, thanks

Comment

head to this ebay item off a 1991 gs500- you can read part number and see wire colors. maybe yours is similar????

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What year is it ?

If its made after 1983 you have a stationary rotor. Before that year they had a dynamic rotor that mechanically advanced the ignition curve.

The later ones did it electronically inside the ignitor.

So yes you could use the gs500 ignition from 1989 up to 2001. Also see if you can get the coils too just to make it a complete set.

There is difference in the advance curve. The 500's advances I think 1000 RPM later than the 450 did. I don't think you'll notice the difference though. It might be slightly weaker off the bottom for a second but you'd go through that rpm pretty quickly anyways.

There are lots of parts you could use from the 500's
          Stephen.
          1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

That's good news, I am still waiting for my bike to be finished being repaired at the local bike shop. The carbs have been soaked for a couple of weeks, the shop then struggled to locate replacement rubbercarb plugs which are no longer made. I hoping the bike will be running properly later this week

Comment

Hi, I have a 1982 GS 300 with the advance in the ignitor. It was acting flakey , intermitent spark , so I took a chance and bought a Dyna electronic ignition and the matching coils and wires for a GS 400, as no one makes anything for a 300 because ,well, no one bought any. It worked, I had to fab the coil mounting brackets but I was surprised when it started right up. Just thought I'd let you know that there is aftermarket parts available .. Good luck

Comment

Working...
              X