No announcement yet.

1982 suzuki gs650glz won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I took off the fuel filter and cut the lines a bit shorter and it fired right up! I did a benchsync and the bike runs great! But then the battery promptly went bad haha. I figured from all the use from trying to start it a lot the past few days it just ran down completely.

Comment

Yep, don't go far till you know you got a reliable charging system. At least do a quickee test......

Better to find out in your driveway than in the median of a busy road!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Funny you mention.. I rode it around the block, stopped to fill it up and the battery was dead. I had to jump start it and I rode it home. I took the battery to orielly auto and they charged it and "said it was good" it was late so I didn't put it back it. Next day I put the battery in and it didn't start. I tried it for a couple minutes and nothing so I came back to it later and I put my tester on the battery and it read 11.6v and when I was turning it over it read 6.7. But it wouldn't even start when I tried to jump start it. I checked the spark and it's sparking. I am so confused.

Comment

Battery is toast in my opinion as it doesn't sound like it's holding a charge. Get a good battery and then run through the stator papers.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Probaby not charging correctly either if you couldn's start it after riding a bit.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

How did you jump start the bike? Hopefully it was with a battery that was NOT attached to a running vehicle.

If you used a running vehicle, your R/R is likely toast, too.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, jump/boost only from non running vehicle! Despite O'reilly's test, I'd say your battery is toast.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

But even if the battery was toast wouldn't it still start if it was jumped? And pardon my forum language inexperience, but was is r/r?

Comment

R/R = regulator/rectifier
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Okay, I doubt that is fried. But let's say it is for the sake of finding the problem. Would that stop a bike from starting at all? Even with a different battery hooked up?

Comment

Okay it has to be a fuel problem again. Because it started this morning but it didn't stay because when I rapped the fuel just slightly to try and keep it going it just sputtered out. But I do think the battery Is going out as well

Comment

This is likely a combo plate of issues- you got to knock them off methodically. Make sure gas gets to carbs-(understand how petcock works)
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

I know that the gas is getting to the carbs, I've checked all four carb bowls and unhooked the fuel line and gas shot out from the petcock. And I had the bike running. It started probably 5 times. Then I rode it around. Stopped for gas. Battery was dead. And it hasn't been the same since.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                              This is likely a combo plate of issues- you got to knock them off methodically. Make sure gas gets to carbs-(understand how petcock works)
                              +1, you have work to do. Adjust the valves first, dip and completely clean the carbs correctly, new orings everywhere, vacuum synch them and do all of the mixture screw adjustments, then test the charging system and fix what needs fixing. Then go right into the brakes, suspension, all of the other stuff, it is all certainly neglected just as bad.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

OK, your carbs have gas- so when you crank it ("choke" full on, NO throttle input) ,got spark?? if yes , crank some more, you should see traces of fuel on plugs after a liitle cranking
                                1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                                X