No announcement yet.

1982 suzuki gs650glz won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright I'll give that a go after I get off work.

Comment

Alright so it was just the battery. It's cranked up no problem two days in a row. 22 mile round trip to work, my only question is.. what kind of RPM range do these bikes usually have when you're going 60-70 MPH in 5th gear? I'm new to the bike RPM ranges of motorcycles.

Comment

Something like 5,000 - 6,000 or so.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Good to know. I wanted to make sure I wasn't turning to many RPMS. But that's what I am running.

Comment

Yeah, these engines are made to spin. It's actually a lot better for them than lugging them around. They can spin just fine forever, and they are efficient that way.

Comment

Originally posted by RedZed View Post
              ..., my only question is.. what kind of RPM range do these bikes usually have when you're going 60-70 MPH in 5th gear? I'm new to the bike RPM ranges of motorcycles.
              Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Something like 5,000 - 6,000 or so.
              My 850s turn about 5,000 at 70 mph, my son's 650 is closer to 6,000 at the same road speed. My other son's 1000 is turning just over 4,000.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Alright so my gas mileage is still crap. Went roughly 40 miles and had to switch to reserve. Then went maybe 20 on that. So I'm still around 20 MPG. Which is still better then my truck.. but no where near what it's supposed to be. And i don't know why it's like this because it runs better then ever. Really good response. No loss in power in mid range.

Comment

This might get back to those carb rebuild kits that you used- what internal parts did you actually replace due to PO's efforts ?

Mine get 45+ easily -I don't flog it but ride in very hilly terrain.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

There are litterally hundreds of factors that go into fuel consumption, they seem to multiply each other. Everything from cam timing to brake drag, tire pressure, carburetor jetting, float height, wheel alignment, chain wear, sprocket ratios, wheel bearings, ignition timing, exhaust back pressure, spark plug gaps, valve clearances, fairing shape, rider size, engine compression, clutch slippage, carbon in the engine, weak spark, carburetor synchronization, dirty air filter, the list goes on and on and on… Even on brand new bikes in perfect condition there is some variation, some are just better at it than others.
                    Some folks chug the engines wasting gas, others ride a lot faster without using as much.
                    Some riders are smooth and easy on the engines while going very fast, others are slow but abuse the crap out of the engine, just don't have a feel for how the engine should run.
                    Some people use taller sprocket ratios to save fuel, but end up opening the throttle farther to get anywhere so it uses more fuel in the end.

I'd start at the carburetors, make sure the jetting is perfect, go right into the cam and ignition timing, keep on going until you have everything on the bike working as well as it can.

My 650G went from 24 mpg to about 44 just by getting rid of the Harley mufflers and jetting it correctly, it took a lot more work to get it to 50 mpg. Everything was a little bit off.

It can be done.

Comment

Working...
                    X