'83 GS550ES Battery Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS550ES Battery Options

Those of you with the siamesed 550s, what are you doing for batteries?

The Yuasa (lead acid, not sealed) model is the YB10L-B. The battery location and battery box doesn't lend itself to too many options as there doesn't appear to be much room in any direction for even a slightly larger battery.

Seems to be this particular battery size is an issue, as I discovered on an old thread in a Vespa forum:

I've been looking for AGM options, and I have found relatively few. Battery Mart has one from Motobatt:

Check out the deal on Motobatt MB10U 12V 14.5Ah AGM Battery at BatteryMart.com

Does anybody have any experience with the seller and/or the battery? Is anybody aware of other options?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

I use and Odyssey battery.
    2 years old and still at almost 14 volts.
    Cranks like a mother ****er

Comment

Jeep...is that Odyssey as in the Honda Odyssey, or a brand with which I am not familiar?
      '83 GS650G

Comment

IS this the one you have?

'83 GS650G

Comment

Yup thats the one
          expensive but I got my Compufire reg\rect at the same time so I wanted a good new battery to go with it.

I think I only paid 140 so it pays to shop around.

batterymom5 a seller on ebay is where I got mine.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2014, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Have a Scorpion AGM battery in my 82 GS550L that I got from BatteryStuff:
            http://www.batterystuff.com/powerspo...sYT10L-A2.html

Have purchased a few batteries from them.
            They were also easy to deal with when I inadvertently purchased the wrong battery -- hadn't used the battery so they let me exchange it with the correct one.

Comment

I bought my MotoBatt from Impact Battery - great company
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                Yup thats the one
                expensive but I got my Compufire reg\rect at the same time so I wanted a good new battery to go with it.

I think I only paid 140 so it pays to shop around.

batterymom5 a seller on ebay is where I got mine.
                Other than a space filler under the battery, did you have to modify the posts and/or leads to make the Odyssey battery work?
                '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                  Other than a space filler under the battery, did you have to modify the posts and/or leads to make the Odyssey battery work?
                  I hooked mine up fine without mods. Used cork gasket sheets to make spacers as it was the only thing I had lying around.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    I use and Odyssey battery.
                    2 years old and still at almost 14 volts.
                    Cranks like a mother ****er
                    coming back to this thread, I don't understand the CCA rating on the Odyssey battery. How can it be rated 100 and crank like you say? Do they use a different measure of performance?

The other AGM batteries on the market are between 175 and 210, although the "perfect fit" is the YB10L...CCA rating 175
                    '83 GS650G

Comment

Answering my own question: more than you ever wanted to know about Odyssey batteries.

The reason their battery cranks so hard, even though it is rated 100 CCA, is that the PHCA (or pulsed CA) is 310 (hence the 310 in the name). When starting the 550, you are giving it an ever so brief (pulse) crank, and effectively you are delivering 310 amps to the starter. No wonder it fires up like nobody's business.
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

It is quite mind boggling really.

Comment

Working...
                        X