How's the CB1100 selling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air cooled

There's just something about the '70's and early '80's air cooled superbikes. There's definitely a nostalgia factor. Many of us lusted after these bikes when they were new, but couldn't afford them.

It might be my imagination, but I think an air cooled bike sounds better. I know it looks better.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It's really tough for any new bike to match the lines of the 1100 EZ. That swoop from the tank down thru the side covers is a thing of beauty. The new Honda is no match for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        There's just something about the '70's and early '80's air cooled superbikes. There's definitely a nostalgia factor. Many of us lusted after these bikes when they were new, but couldn't afford them.

It might be my imagination, but I think an air cooled bike sounds better. I know it looks better.
        In my mid late teens in that era I spent many hours reading about these bikes in the magazines. I still had all my Dirt bike, Cycle World, Cycle mags until we were cleaning out the garage and my wife persuaded me to trash them. She doesn't know how much I regret that.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
          It's really tough for any new bike to match the lines of the 1100 EZ. That swoop from the tank down thru the side covers is a thing of beauty. The new Honda is no match for it.
          YES! YES! YES! (I ride the 1100EZ).

Let's not forget our brothers on 1100EDs (1983). They look just as nice, except for those strange wheels.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'm not sure that the handling and braking are better on a GS1100. I also think that the CB1100 is anything but ugly. Its quite good looking in my opinion. I can't see throwing soft bags on it and heading accross the continent or putting a trunk on it and heading to the supermarket though, like I do with my GS all of the time. It isn't the do-all that the true UJMs were in their day.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Saw this racer over the weekend. Got me thinking about making more room in the garage.

Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2014, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I, for one, fantasize about the 2014 CB1100 DLX on a daily basis.

EDIT: The idea of combined brakes irks me a bit though :-\ Any opinions on this/how it works? I've read about ABS and think that's fine. But combined brakes....meh. I'd rather learn to use my foot/hand myself than rely on the machine to do it for me.

Comment

Never been that attracted to many Hondas, but the CB1100 does it for me.

Comment

Here is a used one with a couple accessories and a seat change.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                      Here is a used one with a couple accessories and a seat change.
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB-201...US_motorcycles
                      Wow, that's a nice bike! Ohlins shocks? I'm not familiar with their entire product line but those look similar to those on the YSS website.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by srg View Post
                        I, for one, fantasize about the 2014 CB1100 DLX on a daily basis.

EDIT: The idea of combined brakes irks me a bit though :-\ Any opinions on this/how it works? I've read about ABS and think that's fine. But combined brakes....meh. I'd rather learn to use my foot/hand myself than rely on the machine to do it for me.
                        Worked find on the VFR's I've ridden. Takes a little getting used to but not much... You barely notice it most of the time.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Interesting. He's got a Staintune and some other large diameter headers. Personally, I don't think that he has improved its looks from stock.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                            If you compare an '80-'81 GS1100E to the new Honda, there is not one thing that the GS doesn't do better than the new Honda. Acceleration, braking, handling, fuel economy, rider and passenger comfort, styling, etc.
                            The ONLY two things that the New Honda has over THE 30+ YEAR OLD SUZUKI is fuel injection and the fact that it is NEW and comes with a warranty. I will keep my Suzie's and my money thank you.
                            Not true... The braking on the new CB will be far superior to the GS1100 as it has 4 pots on a 296mm rotor.

I would be surprised if the handling is not better too - certainly "as stock". It has a 41mm fork for starters.

Power at 82bhp is not huge but it's close to the GS1100 & I think the torque is greater at 56lbft which is probably more evident on the street...

I agree the 1100F is prettier...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Speaking of old Honda 1100's........My favorite Honda 1100? Yep, 30 years old and will still smoke a new CB1100. Give an 1100F a run for it's money too, in fact, was the fastest production motorcycle ever made in 1983. This is my Candy Glory Red 86, favorite Honda color of all time, also had an 80 CBX in the same color. Absolutely stunning in person. Enjoy!

Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                              87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                              99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                              15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Your V65 looks good. They made lots of power, and the magazine testers said it was hard to launch down the 1/4 mile track because it wanted to wheelie

Comment

Working...
                                X