Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 gs450l Engine knock then idle drops?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs450l Engine knock then idle drops?!?!?!

When I am sitting in neutral the engine makes a knock sound (kind of like a rough shift sound) then the idle drops about 200 to 500 rpms. I have cleaned the carbs, replaced the rectifier, changed the oil, changed the air filter, did an oil change and changed out the carb boots. I have also checked all control adjustments. This is my first bike and I am learning as I go, so please help!

Sounds like a jumpy starter to me. Check for shorts.

Comment

Not sure what you mean, Could you take a video ?
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Too lean, backfire through the carbs, idle drops and then comes back up. It sounds kinda like that.

Try using a little more choke and see if it stops.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The idle doesn't go right back up it stays down. It might slowly come back up or be back at the next stop light then knock sound, idle drop. I will try to get a video posted today.

Comment

Just try opening the choke a little to see if it stops. If it does you are just idling too lean. Easy to fix.

I have seen this on several bikes, it sounds just like you describe.

Comment

I think you were right about idling lean. Do I need to adjust the pilot screw? If so is it plugged up with a brass cap up top on the engine side of the carbs?

Comment

Yes, they are tamper proof. Makes it harder to adjust. Use a dril bit to remove the plug, take the screws out. They used a drop of paint at the factory to keep them from moving. Take them out first, clean them off.

Actually you should do a complete carb cleaning, if the plugs are still there its never been done before.

Comment

Working...
                X