Back fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back fire

hey all. i'm having back fire issues with my 79 GS1000 when i throttle down. i purchased the bike with K&N pod air filters on it and i assume that's part of the problem. thing is i really don't wanna cause any damage to the bike as the motor feels strong as is.

Backfiring on deceleration is generally caused by airleaks on the exhaust side of the head. That is either at the header pipe to head, holes in the pipe or holes further along to the mufflers.

Being lean on the intake side could lead to burned valves but I doubt it would contribute to the backfire.

Have a close look at the pipes. Have they been off the bike recently? Perhaps they are not seating properly or new gaskets are needed.

Let us know if you find anything. It doesn't have to be a huge hole either so check for pinholes.

good luck.

Comment

thanx spyug. i did just have them off, the gaskets were pretty rusted so i sand blasted them... maybe they're a bit too thin now.

Comment

Buy new exhaust gaskets. If you sandblasted them you just removed material. They weren't that expensive last time I bought a set.

Comment

Originally posted by 13013 View Post
          thanx spyug. i did just have them off, the gaskets were pretty rusted so i sand blasted them... maybe they're a bit too thin now.
          Is that when your backfiring started?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

it's shortly after that i noticed but the bike wasn't really running when i got it. it had a dead batt. i heard it run but it was boosted. i hadn't noticed a back fire then just the clutch rattle (turned out to be a loose nut). i just my main concern is running her too lean.

Comment

Originally posted by 13013 View Post
              it's shortly after that i noticed but the bike wasn't really running when i got it. it had a dead batt. i heard it run but it was boosted. i hadn't noticed a back fire then just the clutch rattle (turned out to be a loose nut). i just my main concern is running her too lean.
              Well if you got it not running you should certainly go through everything.

I bet it wasn't jetted for the pods, most are not, or are not done right. Stock exhaust?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The back fire is from the mixture screws & lean needles. Correct the jetting. If you are going to keep the pods put a Stage 3 jet kit in it.
                Ray.

Comment

ya i kinda worried about the carbs. i'll look into them and make sure i'm not leaking exhaust. thanx guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X