Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suspension swap

hey guys,
    Im new to this forum and what im seeing in here i really like and it seems there are alot of knowledgeble guys here. so ill start off by saying i have a 79 gs1000 in excellent condition that was recently passed down to me by my dad. it was kind our little project the last few years. its got a 4 into 1 exhaust, pod filters on the carbs, dyno jet carb kit in them, and i changed to some drag bars. im interested in updating the suspension. ive stumbled into a few threads on swaps but none of them seem to be a detailed build thread. maybe im just not finding the right ones. the end goal here is being able to run a wider radial tire while still keeping it close to the roots of the bike. id like to do it with the dual shock suspension so i can keep the electronics located where they are and stick with the cafe racer look that im going for with out going to radical. from the reading ive seen the gs1100 swing arm seems to be the way to go. i could also like convert the front end to a upside down carterige shock and modern brakes and tires up front. im a big guy, 6'5" 300 pounds so the suspension upgrades are a pretty nessecary thing for me. so basically what im asking for is someone to point me to a relevant build thread or someone that has done it that could help me with some pictures and exact parts i need to buy for this build. thanks alot guys. ill post some pics of my bike when i get back to the house and take a couple

oh, im not afraid of doing some fab work. i can weld and i have been working in bike shops off and on wrenching for years part time.

Comment

I just did what you want to do, I am 6'4" 300 lbs so the build is just about what you are looking for .
      Check it out
      Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

thanks so much man, im at work and its quitting time so i gotta get my fat ass to the gym to make my bike faster lol. ill check it out when i get home.

Comment

Here is another build thread of my GS1000 and has a ton of helpful info:
          Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Here is how the bike looks currently.

Comment

Working...
          X