'82 gs550l wiring/charging system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 gs550l wiring/charging system

I recently purchased a semi complete 82 gs550l cafe conversion and recently replaced the stator which is now working (according to my volt meter). Now I've compared the 'custom' (two owners before me) wiring harness to the wiring diagram (http://s19.postimg.org/rqhb2jmep/Diagram.jpg) and am confused as to the configuration of the stator / rectifier wiring. on my bike I have 3 stator wires, 2 go to the rectifier and 1 else where. Then there are 2 more wires running, along side the 2 from the stator, into the rectifier one of which is a lead from the battery (and of course the ground wire is separate and grounded properly). Based on other simple diagrams and the fact that the stator is AC it doesn't make since that not all 3 are directly wired to the rectifier, should they be and if its properly wired then any ideas on why the battery dies after running for at most 10 minutes (brand new, properly charged and filled)?

"Based on other simple diagrams and the fact that the stator is AC it doesn't make since that not all 3 are directly wired to the rectifier, should they be and if its properly wired

then any ideas on why the battery dies after running for at most 10 minutes (brand new, properly charged and filled)? "

On older bikes 81 and before, suzuki ran one leg of stator up thru headlight switch (double pole). This way if you had headlight off ,one leg of stator was open circuited, so stator output was reduced. When headlight "ON" was mandated, suzuki removed the switch but for a while continued just using the same harness, so you got extra wires to wonder about. Go here and read

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

connections are always suspect. But you do want to send all 3 stators leads direct to R/R, nice thinking on your part! other stuff to do but read that link
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by kratoscafe View Post
      KS,

Welcome to GSR.

Yah, I agree with the statements posted above about the stator wires.
      (although it was 1980 that most bikes no longer had the headlight on-off switch).

Yes, you can connect all three directly to the R/R.

As long as you have access to the 3 stator wires, that is good opportunity to do one of the most important test when having a charging problem.
      Measure the AC output of the stator, wires disconnected, measure AC volts between any and all pair of two wires, with engine running at about 4000 rpm. Each of the three reading should be about 70 VAC.

I noticed that you did not state any volt readings when describing this electrical problem.

You need a volt meter to troubleshoot electrical poroblems. CAn not checkout electrical problems with your eyeballs.

Look for "Stator Papers" back on GSR home page for more invoved troubleshooting your charging problem.

Last edited by Redman; 04-04-2014, 08:22 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        KS,

Welcome to GSR.

Yah, I agree with the statements posted above about the stator wires.
        (although it was 1980 that most bikes no longer had the headlight on-off switch).

My 81 gs750e had a headlamp switch and it appears that the headlamp stator loop persisted until the 1150's came around.

Comment

Working...
        X